Trouble transferring music files from Win. 10 PC to G5 Plus

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I read several internet posts re' transferring music from my Windows 10 PC -> G5+ but nothing works.
I plug usb cable from phone to PC, swipe down phone notifications list on the phone and select "Transfer files (MTP)". But when I try to drag my music folder/files into the G5+ box, nothing happens, time after time. Please help!

BTW, I did transfer those music files successfully onto my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet a year or 2 ago. Is there any way to transfer my music from that tablet to my G5+ (similar to what I did with my PC photos using the Play Stores "PhotoSync" app?

PS... I don't even see any music player app on my G5+. Shouldn't that be on the phone when purchased new or should I d/l some 3rd party music player app? Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After making sure the device is connected successfully via USB, open Windows Explorer, and then double click the G5 Plus in the device list. You should see the folders available on that device. Drag and drop your music files into the Music folder (not directly to the G5 Plus listing in the device list).

Transferring files from one device to another can be a little tricky. You could use Bluetooth Share, but I'm not sure how fast that data transfer rate is. You could always upload the music to your Google Drive (or some other cloud storage), and then download those files to the G5 Plus.

I would guess that the G5 Plus came with Google Play Music as the default music app -- did that come preinstalled?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have done that several times but the only thing they show me in the Moto G5+ box is "Internal shared storage" 44.6 GB free".
I do have "Play Music" app preinstalled on the phone but apparently they want $ to use it and I prefer a free music player.
I was able to get the music files onto my phone through Windows Media Player somehow yesterday but most of the songs are listed repeatedly (4 X each) on the phone and I don't see anyway to delete the 3 extra files on each song using VLC.
The files are WMA by the way, not mp3.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
If the G5 / G5+ is like the Turbo2 and the Moto Z it will not recognize WMA files, they have to be converted to MP3.

And Play Music does have a monthly subscription but it's an option, not mandatory. It will play your locally stored music without paying anything.

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I just tried using Play Music and the only song it will play is a classical music ringtone I d/l one time and never use. :( I tapped playlists, artists, albums, and songs but none of those show my WMA music files at all. My VLC player will play them as I mentioned, but somehow I ended up with 4 copies of every song from my PC and I don't see how to delete the extras using VLC
How can I convert those WMA files to mp3? Is there an app for that?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
It's only going to play MP3 files. The phone itself doesn't recognize WMA files. I went round & round with this when I upgraded from a Droid Maxx to a Droid Turbo. My WMA music files played great for years and then Moto phones stopped recognizing WMA files. Convert some to MP3 and I bet they will play.

Start small. Delete everything you already copied over. Convert a few songs to MP3 format and copy them to a folder named Music on the phone storage and I bet they will play. Then you know you have to convert the rest of your files to MP3. I spent days converting my collection from WMA to MP3.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Not that I am aware of. I did it on my PC. For many I uploaded to Google Music online and converted to MP3 then downloaded to my phone. For others I re-ripped the CD and chose MP3 as the format. If I only would have known years ago that some phones would stop supporting WMA....

I'm not sure you can do it from your phone. Probably gonna have to do it from your PC.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have done that several times but the only thing they show me in the Moto G5+ box is "Internal shared storage" 44.6 GB free".

Can you show a screenshot of your PC screen when you have Windows Explorer open and the phone connected?

I do have "Play Music" app preinstalled on the phone but apparently they want $ to use it and I prefer a free music player.

The Play Music app is free to use as a player. The Subscribe button is only there to encourage you to subscribe, but you can bypass that. If you're presented with a fullscreen subscription encouragement, there should be a "Skip" or "No Thanks" option in smaller text near the bottom somewhere.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Any luck converting a few files to MP3 format, copying to the phone and then playing them?

Last edited:

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't tried that before because none of the web posts I read included that in their instructions. Tried it now and it gives me an icon list of my music and a few other files. How do I get those music files onto my phone?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I finally got my music files transferred onto the phone B. Diddy. Your advice about clicking on the Internal Shared Storage graph was the missing piece I need to the puzzle. I just dragged those file icons over to the Moto G5+ name on the left side of the screen.
Thanks a lot! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan