All frequent calls disappeared

ArnieD

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
This feature was rolled out by google and it has nothing to do with third party apps or OEMs. There is a service within the google play services package which runs periodically to clear frequently contacted list. The only workaround possible is that you can revoke the contacts permission for google play services. Be aware that this will stop your contacts from syncing with your google account.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
This feature was rolled out by google and it has nothing to do with third party apps or OEMs. There is a service within the google play services package which runs periodically to clear frequently contacted list. The only workaround possible is that you can revoke the contacts permission for google play services. Be aware that this will stop your contacts from syncing with your google account.

Oh how I love getting good news 😕

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I have read a few posts in different forums that say that a Google Play Services update is causing the issue. And one even had a resolution posted, but involved installing an older Google Play Services apk from apk mirror and then denying updates. It's just strange that if it's a Google Play Services issue that all phones running the same Google Play Services version are not affected.

Olegrie

Jun 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone! I am from Russia. I have same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. On both phones of mine and my wife, every day all of our frequent calls tiles disappear. I have found only three forums that this issue is discussed. But no one gives a clear explanation of what is happening. A person appeared who found the answer. Thanks to ArnieD https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=958648&p=6568800&viewfull=1#post6568800. There is no doubt that the blame is the update Google Play Services (GPS). I decided to remove the latest update and install the previous update from 2018. But I did not manage to forbid GPS to be updated to the latest version by itself. There is a person who advised the version of GPS, which is not updated by itself. Thanks to Sourabh13 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K8-XT1...list-automatically-deleted/m-p/4453512#M30675. So, the problem is solved, the frequent calls no longer disappear. But another problem is appeared YouTube requires GPS updates. I have got a solution, you need to remove YouTube, install the previous version and disabled automatic update in Google Play Market. https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-13-17-55-release/. Good luck to all!

ArnieD

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Dear ArnieD,
Your solution seems the best. Could you explain how to revoke the contacts permission for google play services?

Goto Settings/Apps, scroll down and press on Google Play Services, then press on Permissions, then slide the slider next to Contacts to revoke permission.

Please note that this is not exactly a google play services issue, but a Google policy issue. Unless they decide to change this policy, this is how things are gonna be for the future. So the best solution is to accept the change and start getting used to it.

ArnieD

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
As of now, this is an universal issue on most devices, particularly the ones running stock android which rely totally on the google play services package. Samsung or other devices which are based on modified android UI's provide their own alternate service packages.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
But numerous people here running stock Android have stated numerous times that our Call lists are not being cleared out automatically. That's why we keep asking....if this is a new Google policy why is it not affecting all phones of the same model? Why only some Moto G6? Why only some Pixels? Why only some Moto Z2? That's the part that doesn't make sense

Olegrie

Jun 25, 2019
Visit site
Goto Settings/Apps, scroll down and press on Google Play Services, then press on Permissions, then slide the slider next to Contacts to revoke permission.
Thank you very much. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Android 5.1.1 I have. But my wife has Android 6.0.1 and your instructions suits her.

ArnieD

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
But numerous people here running stock Android have stated numerous times that our Call lists are not being cleared out automatically. That's why we keep asking....if this is a new Google policy why is it not affecting all phones of the same model? Why only some Moto G6? Why only some Pixels? Why only some Moto Z2? That's the part that doesn't make sense

It is possible that this is an issue faced by phones that don't have the new google dialer where the favorites tab is divided into 2 parts, viz. favorites and frequents.

In the end "what happens at google, stays at google"; there is never a proper and complete explanation about their policies.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Android 5.1.1 I have. But my wife has Android 6.0.1 and your instructions suits her.

Yup, the permissions feature is only available on android 6 and above.

Last edited by a moderator:

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
It is possible that this is an issue faced by phones that don't have the new google dialer where the favorites tab is divided into 2 parts, viz. favorites and frequents.

In the end "what happens at google, stays at google"; there is never a proper and complete explanation about their policies.
Is it a android Pie issue?

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
It appears that I was on the right track when I suspected Google Play Services being the issue but I never thought to try revoking permission from the app permissions sub menu. I was trying to stop it by turning off backup & sync which is why it never really worked because Google Play Services was still able to access my contacts. The second I revoked permission for the Google Play Services app to access my contacts, guess what? My frequently contacted list immediately started to repopulate. I've had the permissions slider set to "off" for the last 2 weeks and so far my contacts haven't disappeared so this definitely looks like the culprit.

The only issue I have is that my contacts no longer back up and sync to Google servers. This isn't a huge issue as I make manual backups anyway but I occasionally keep getting popup notifications saying that Google Play Services can't sync contacts and asks me to give them permission to access Contacts. For now this seems to be the best workaround until Google sort out whatever it is they broke.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski