Why do I get the "Storage space running out" notification when I have lots of space left?

JSmith222221

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I have a Moto G5 with 16 gb internal storage and a 64 gb SD card. 40 gb of the 80 gb total is full, with more than half of the SD card free but only 500 mb of the internal shared storage free, and I'm getting the "Storage space running out" notification and I can't install/update apps. I'm assuming I'm getting the notification because the internal shared storage is nearly full, but as the SD card is formatted as internal and has lots of space surely it shouldn't matter?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: Why do I get the "Storage space running out" notification when I have lots of space left?

Download Data Size Explorer from the Playstore, run it, and you will see.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why do I get the "Storage space running out" notification when I have lots of space left?

We've seen a lot of posts on this forum about similar problems on Moto phones. I suspect Lenovo messed up the implementation of Adoptable Storage.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site

Adoptable storage is no longer recommended as it inevitably causes problems. Revert back to external storage and your issue should be resolved. There are many previous posts on problems with adoptable storage, have a look through the search bar at the top of the page.

chiron69

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site

Hi. I'm sorry to say that 500Mb of internal memory is to little, to install, or even running /updating the app. You should leave a goid Gb to run apps more efficiently, and uninstall and hibernate all apps you're not using. :) Good luck! Motorola has the best memory management on the Android platform, actually. But the OS is a bad design from start, and keeps all installed apps running in the background as default! :-/

chiron69

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site

Nope, it is the best memory management on any phone! Hands down... :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Nope, it is the best memory management on any phone! Hands down... :)

Just curious, what do you base this on? I've seen lots of posts on this forum about problems with Adoptable Storage on Moto.

Also, what you describe about installed apps running in the background is how Linux works (which is what Android is based on, of course). Assuming the apps are coded correctly, they shouldn't be "running" in the background if they're not supposed to be actively doing anything -- instead, they should be paused/cached in memory, ready to open back up when you need it (rather than loading back into RAM, which takes power and time). In any case, that involves RAM, whereas the OP was asking a question about internal storage.

chiron69

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site

Nope, works oike a charm for two years! Geniality! ;-)
The problems with all apps always "running" all the time, is an Android design flaw /compromise. But you can hibernate all apps that don't need to run always.
This is what I base it on. And my Moto G5 Plus - Stealingpricebought. ;-)

Best wishes from Ron, No(r) way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12