Moto G Plus or Moto X Pure Edition?

itslikeimsayin

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello: I'm not here to bash the Moto G Plus at all, even though this post could be perceived that way. I already have a Moto X Pure Edition and am in need of a new phone for another family member. I want to spend around $300, and am leaning toward another Moto X Pure Edition, but also considering going a year newer with the Moto G Plus. If I get the Moto X, I'd probably just get the 16 GB and add an SD card, like I have in mine. If I go for the G Plus, I'd probably splurge on the $300 64 GB version.

So here's my question: Spec-wise, other than the increased storage and being one year life cycle newer, I see no compelling reason to choose the G Plus over the X Pure: Slower processor, less RAM, lower megapixel camera, lower quality display, etc. (I know it's lighter and slightly smaller.) But am I overlooking something? Can anyone make a case for why I should do the G Plus? Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What screen size is better for their needs?

Do they want a fingerprint sensor or not?

Do they prefer dual front facing speakers or not?

itslikeimsayin

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
What screen size is better for their needs?

Do they want a fingerprint sensor or not?

Do they prefer dual front facing speakers or not?

Screen sizes are nearly the same, really don't see the .2 inch making much of a difference.

Fingerprint sensor would be a nice addition, but not entirely necessary.

Only the X has the dual front-facing speakers, so that supports my original point.

Some additional factors to consider: One benefit that hit me is that the G Plus is likely to receive system updates longer than the X Pure Edition will. I also believe the 64 GB variant of the G Plus includes 4 GB of RAM, so in that regard it actually beats the X Pure Edition spec. Finally, Best Buy has a deal for a $50 gift card with a pre-order of the G Plus, which is enticing. It would also be kind of cool to, for once, have a brand new model phone on its release date.

Anybody else have any thoughts? I'm still waffling back and forth.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because of bezels, the fourth gen Moto G and Moto X Pure Edition are essentially the same size. Screen size is irrelevant.

On OS updates, I would say there are no guarantees.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Because of bezels, the fourth gen Moto G and Moto X Pure Edition are essentially the same size. Screen size is irrelevant.

On OS updates, I would say there are no guarantees.

I would say the G Plus. Battery life would be way better with a lower resolution screen and a lower grade processor. Motorola is promising updates to N and O on the G Plus also, but I think that would be the 4GB ram version.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would say the G Plus. Battery life would be way better with a lower resolution screen and a lower grade processor. Motorola is promising updates to N and O on the G Plus also, but I think that would be the 4GB ram version.

Got a link to where they promise updates?

TeeJayDJ

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I own a MXP and I broke it so I had a G4 Plus 4GB XT-1466 overnighted and I plan to send my MXP back to Moto for repairs.

The MXP is a solid phone almost double the weight and screen is much better quality. The only game I have been playing lately is MKX and it's FC'n on the G4. I have noticed and I believe Qualcomm really did improve data speeds over LTE.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I now own the g4 plus and I had the moto x pure which I gave to my mom. The moto x has a better design and build quality. Slightly larger screen and much better sound. .Also has ambient light sensor that lets you wave screen to see time and notifications. But Moto g4 is newer and cheaper with a very responsive fingerprint scanner.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I was deciding between these two devices yesterday when I was trying to find a suitable replacement for my now recalled Note 7. I chose the G4. It was slightly cheaper and I wanted the fingerprint scanner. No NFC which means no mobile payments. But Android Pay doesn't support Chase Mobile anyway so no difference to me there. So far it is a solid smartphone.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante