Windows 10 PC can't access Moto G4 files - instructions

OldNGrey

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
My new Moto G 4 Plus, August 2016 with Android 6.0.1, would not allow access to photos from a Windows 10 PC and I could not find a satisfactory solution on any forums so here are the steps that worked for me.

Assumption: Your Windows 10 PC has already loaded the USB driver and Windows Explorer recognises the Moto G (4) but no folders are displayed.

Solution:
On the Moto G 4 enable Developer Options and change the default USB behavior from Charge Only to MTP File Transfer.
Disconnect the USB cable.
In Settings/ About Phone/ Tap Build Number (all the way on the bottom) 5 times. Developer options will be shown second from the bottom in settings. Turn on Developer options, under 'Select USB Configuration', select MTP.
exit and plug in the USB cable.

If USB configuration is already set to MTP and the files are not visible on the PC, disconnect the USB cable, on the Moto G 4 Plus go back to Developer Options / Select USB Configuration and change to USB charging and exit, then go back into Select USB Configuration and change to MTP.
At top of screen under Developer option, turn Off (to avoid accidental changes to anything else).
Exit back to settings
Plug in USB cable
Windows PC should now recognise Moto G (4) with Internal storage shown.

Navigate down through this as for any hard drive.
[Also posted on the Motorola/ Lenovo forum]

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the tip! Just curious--before you did all of this, what would happen if you connected the phone to the PC via USB, then swiped down the notification panel, tapped the USB icon, and selected MTP there? Was that an option? Or was that ineffective?

rn2016

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank You so much for the guide, OldNGrey. My wife has the G4. On my PC already had Motorola Launcher but couldn't see files in G4. Followed the guide now is fine. I have to change from MTP to USB then back to MTP.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
My new Moto G 4 Plus, August 2016 with Android 6.0.1, would not allow access to photos from a Windows 10 PC and I could not find a satisfactory solution on any forums so here are the steps that worked for me.

Assumption: Your Windows 10 PC has already loaded the USB driver and Windows Explorer recognises the Moto G (4) but no folders are displayed.

Solution:
On the Moto G 4 enable Developer Options and change the default USB behavior from Charge Only to MTP File Transfer.
Disconnect the USB cable.
In Settings/ About Phone/ Tap Build Number (all the way on the bottom) 5 times. Developer options will be shown second from the bottom in settings. Turn on Developer options, under 'Select USB Configuration', select MTP.
exit and plug in the USB cable.

If USB configuration is already set to MTP and the files are not visible on the PC, disconnect the USB cable, on the Moto G 4 Plus go back to Developer Options / Select USB Configuration and change to USB charging and exit, then go back into Select USB Configuration and change to MTP.
At top of screen under Developer option, turn Off (to avoid accidental changes to anything else).
Exit back to settings
Plug in USB cable
Windows PC should now recognise Moto G (4) with Internal storage shown.

Navigate down through this as for any hard drive.
[Also posted on the Motorola/ Lenovo forum]

Thanks for the information. I will do this.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It did help, thanks again.It was on MTP already so I changed to USB and again to MTP.
After the entire procedure, I hid the Developer Options again (Settings > Storage >Apps >Settings app > Clear Data - this removed only the Developer Options and nothing else changed)

IBB07

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
My Moto G4 was recently dropped in a puddle of water and completely submerged. Turns out after charging it, the phone still works (The phone vibrates when a call/message is received etc.) but the screen won't work. I don't believe my USB Behavior settings have been changed and I would like to salvage any data that hadn't been backed up at the time when it was damaged.

Is there possible anyway of doing these steps as even after downloading the Motorola USB drivers onto my PC, nothing happens when I try connecting the Moto G4 to it via USB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2