Nougat.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
So, any predictions on how long it will be till we get our hands on Nougat? Once I get back to the UK I'll take my shot at talking to Moto about it, but I wouldn't expect much from that.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have hope it will be quick given the phone is near stock and not tied to a carrier.

But then it is a budget phone and now owned by Lenovo, so who knows.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I forget where I read it but Nougat will be coming before the end of the year.

They said the same for the Marshmallow update last year, and we didn't get it until the end of December 😐

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I forget where I read it but Nougat will be coming before the end of the year.

They said the same for the Marshmallow update last year, and we didn't get it until the end of December 😐

Well it was December for the USA. In the UK I didn't get it until February!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have hope it will be quick given the phone is near stock and not tied to a carrier.

But then it is a budget phone and now owned by Lenovo, so who knows.

I got told in, what, October last year by Moto support they would roll out the update for the g3 soon, and it didn't roll out for me until four months later so i wouldn't count on it being too fast.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Now that my friends iPhone 6 from 2014 is about to get iOS 10, we are still waiting on even a confirmation from Lenovo on our phones from may getting Nougat. I understand the difficulties in android updates, but no. This is no longer an excuse for phones with essentially no skin over the OS. Once this phone dies I am NEVER getting another Motorola phone. It takes a few days for every iPhone since the 5, to get an update, and yet it takes android manufacturers months. For me, unless we get Nougat soon, I'm going to Nexus.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Now that my friends iPhone 6 from 2014 is about to get iOS 10, we are still waiting on even a confirmation from Lenovo on our phones from may getting Nougat. I understand the difficulties in android updates, but no. This is no longer an excuse for phones with essentially no skin over the OS. Once this phone dies I am NEVER getting another Motorola phone. It takes a few days for every iPhone since the 5, to get an update, and yet it takes android manufacturers months. For me, unless we get Nougat soon, I'm going to Nexus.

Comparing OS and security updates between iOS and Android is an Apples to Oranges comparison.

That said, on the Android side, the only line with guaranteed OS updates is Google's line.

Anything else will disappoint.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Comparing OS and security updates between iOS and Android is an Apples to Oranges comparison.

That said, on the Android side, the only line with guaranteed OS updates is Google's line.

Anything else will disappoint.

I am aware, but if you sell phones on the premise of fast updates and a clean skin, one would expect fast updates, no?

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
They're not selling the G on the premise of fast updates.

Do you remember the drama from last year with the E? Since the original X simple software and updates have been something Motorola have run on, and whilst Lenovo bought Motorola and Lenovo and (fast) software updates are like cats and water, they could at least publish a list of what's getting N? Oh, and I think not needing someone's IMEI to process a basic question about an update would also he useful.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you remember the drama from last year with the E? Since the original X simple software and updates have been something Motorola have run on, and whilst Lenovo bought Motorola and Lenovo and (fast) software updates are like cats and water, they could at least publish a list of what's getting N? Oh, and I think not needing someone's IMEI to process a basic question about an update would also he useful.

Unlike the E, there are no Motorola marketing materials on their site that promise updates.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Unlike the E, there are no Motorola marketing materials on their site that promise updates.

But still, surely for a simple enquiry about a timeframe does not require my IMEI number? Also, it's concerning they have not even said which devices will be getting N. Quite disconcerting.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
A few days delayed from the announcement but crazily enough we'll be getting our hands on something a bit nicer than Marshmallow by the end of the year. Certainly not as long as it took them for MM on the Moto G³ (in Europe at least)

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if N doesn't run as well as Marshmallow on this phone. Maybe I'll be wrong.

For me marshmallow is absolutely horrendous. Ive had worse (like my galaxy S3 on cyanogen mod 12), but surely Nougat can't be worse than Marshmallow (in my experience)

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
MM runs pretty well for me. The SD 617 certainly is no 820 but it's not bad. This is a decent experience.

MM /usually/ is OK for me, but sometimes it just slows down and stops. I feel like my old moto g3 (before it bit the dust) on a SD410 almost ran better more of the time.