mwemaxxowner

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a moto g4+ on the way. I'm super excited to be getting a brand new phone again that isn't a low budget phone. I've been on straight talk for a few years now, and been through several eBay specials that weren't quite right, and a few Walmart phones.

Anywho, I'm interested in rooting this phone so I can tether to upload data logs from my laptop to email from inside my truck on the go.

I'm also considering switching to att go phone (6 gigs for 55$ a month), and not having any strings attached to tethering (pun intended :) ). But for the same price, I can have TEN gigs of high speed with ST. If I did tether a bit I'd never go over that.

I've never been rooted before. It's intriguing, but also intimidating.

Who has rooted? I've read several tutorials and it seems pretty straightforward.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a moto g4+ on the way. I'm super excited to be getting a brand new phone again that isn't a low budget phone. I've been on straight talk for a few years now, and been through several eBay specials that weren't quite right, and a few Walmart phones.

Anywho, I'm interested in rooting this phone so I can tether to upload data logs from my laptop to email from inside my truck on the go.

I'm also considering switching to att go phone (6 gigs for 55$ a month), and not having any strings attached to tethering (pun intended :) ). But for the same price, I can have TEN gigs of high speed with ST. If I did tether a bit I'd never go over that.

I've never been rooted before. It's intriguing, but also intimidating.

Who has rooted? I've read several tutorials and it seems pretty straightforward.

Well you'd need to unlock your bootloader, which means that you'd lose your warranty. If you take the bullet Autoroot (chainfire make it I think) is the easiest way to root. Id recommend getting instructions and make sure you know your model number because that's very important. However, if you bought your phone unlocked I think you'll be able to tether anyway.

mwemaxxowner

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I was under the impression that some tether apps can disguise tethering if rooted. True?

And yeah, I should probably wait until I make sure I don't have a lemon to try it. No way to lock it back up?

Last edited:

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I was under the impression that some tether apps can disguise tethering if rooted. True?

And yeah, I should probably wait until I make sure I don't have a lemon to try it. No way to lock it back up?

Well, my understanding is, so long as you have an unlocked non-carrier g4+, you hypothetically should be able to tether. If it isn't you'll have to root and likely put cyanogen mod on your phone, however, whilst I know the process fairly well from my Moto g (2015), I'm not going to delve deeper into the subject. I'm also fairly sure your carrier cant tell if you're tethering buy again, I don't know.

mwemaxxowner

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I did some more reading. Apparently there are packets of data attached to activity that will tell what device it came from.

I read many places say carriers don't care very much and have better thing to do, and I read some horror stories of lost numbers and cancelled accounts. So I dunno. Lol

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I did some more reading. Apparently there are packets of data attached to activity that will tell what device it came from.

I read many places say carriers don't care very much and have better thing to do, and I read some horror stories of lost numbers and cancelled accounts. So I dunno. Lol

Hmm, in that case with packets identifying as tethered all I can say it perhaps, you could use a vpn or change carriers, or even negotiate a tethering deal. I don't know if the first would work however.

mwemaxxowner

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
It sounds like most likely they *can*, but don't worry about it much unless you really abuse it heavily. I think they really have to be looking hard.

I did read about using a vpn

mwemaxxowner

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm starting to think I can probably transfer the file from the laptop to be phone and upload to Google drive from the phone though. I'm just not sure the phone can do anything with the windows program.

calinb7

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

I have the same phone and $55 ST plan (ATT sim--ST Verizon sim card did not work). Phone will not permit tethering on ST plan. I have been considering rooting the phone too, but would like to hear from someone who has done it and also found a tethering ap that has proven to work. I might just go with the ATT plan that supports tethering too. 6gig vs. ST's 10gig but ATT says it will then down speed to 3g speeds whereas ST's fine print says it backs you off to only 64kbps after 10gb!