G4 on Verizon. - Only Shows 3G

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I turned off my Note 7 since it is officially done and needed a phone to use while I await my Pixel XL. I had a spare Motorola G4 and I popped in my SIM from my Note 7 and it it worked right away...however, when outside WiFi and on cellular data, it only shows 3G...I'm able to stream audio fine...surfing is a tad slower but it works for sure as a temporary solution.

Just wondering if there is any way to get the full 4G with this on Verizon?

Thanks...

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What's the exact model number? You need the variant that supports Verizon's LTE bands (2, 4, 13). The only model number that does so is XT1625.

Cheat sheet: which 4G LTE bands do AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint use in the USA?
Motorola Moto G4 - Full phone specifications

Thanks for this...I have the MOTOROLA - XT1644...I do see the XT1625 on Amazon. So, now decision time. My PIXEL is on order. Do I just live with 3G for a while, use a spare iPhone6 for a while or order a XT1625 for the time being? Hmmmm...

And what is interesting...the phone I'm using, is sold AS the XT1625 on Amazon's site, so getting that other one may prove to not be helpful...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5483651

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I didn't realize you had the G4 Plus. The confusing thing with the G4 Plus is that there appear to be three different variants of the XT1644 -- a US, European, and Indian variant: Motorola Moto G4 Plus - Full phone specifications

I moved this to the G4 Plus forum, for accuracy.

I didn't either as this is listed on Amazon as Moto G (4th Gen.) and the correct model for 100% compatible for Verizon.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange that sites would equate the XT1625 and the XT1644 -- they should be different phones, the G4 and G4 Plus.

In any case, go to Settings>Mobile Networks, and look for an option for Preferred Network Type. Make sure it isn't limited to 3G or GSM. Also, have you asked Verizon about this? I wonder if there's something they have to do on their side.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Strange that sites would equate the XT1625 and the XT1644 -- they should be different phones, the G4 and G4 Plus.

In any case, go to Settings>Mobile Networks, and look for an option for Preferred Network Type. Make sure it isn't limited to 3G or GSM. Also, have you asked Verizon about this? I wonder if there's something they have to do on their side.

It is set to GLOBAL as the preferred global network. Second option is LTE/CDMA and last option is LTE/GSM/UMTS...

Verizon checked my IEMI number and said this: I just checked with one of our solutions architects and he pulled up your imei in our device management data base. He said that typically devices that can work on any carrier usually do not do 3G or EVDO on 4G but it does show to be using 3G….we are stumped because that phone is not supposed to even have that technology in it.

So if I can't get it to go 4G on Verizon, I'm good until my Pixel arrives...

But let me give a plug for this phone though...a lot of BANG for the buck...absolutely...very impressed with it. :)

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It is set to GLOBAL as the preferred global network. Second option is LTE/CDMA and last option is LTE/GSM/UMTS...

Verizon checked my IEMI number and said this: I just checked with one of our solutions architects and he pulled up your imei in our device management data base. He said that typically devices that can work on any carrier usually do not do 3G or EVDO on 4G but it does show to be using 3G….we are stumped because that phone is not supposed to even have that technology in it.

So if I can't get it to go 4G on Verizon, I'm good until my Pixel arrives...

But let me give a plug for this phone though...a lot of BANG for the buck...absolutely...very impressed with it. :)

Have you tried setting it to LTE/CDMA? Also check the APN settings. You should have one with VZW in it somewhere. I've used my G4+ on Verizon and had no problem getting LTE.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried setting it to LTE/CDMA? Also check the APN settings. You should have one with VZW in it somewhere. I've used my G4+ on Verizon and had no problem getting LTE.

Good tips...I have switched it to LTE/CDMA and waited for a while and still just 3G:

Screenshot_20161013-085825.jpg

I am also in the APN settings and it is listed as VZWINTERNET. No reason to change that, right?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just grasping at straws here, but if there's an option for Advanced Calling or VoLTE, try toggling it to the opposite of whatever it's set to right now (i.e., if it's on, turn if off, and vice-versa).

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just grasping at straws here, but if there's an option for Advanced Calling or VoLTE, try toggling it to the opposite of whatever it's set to right now (i.e., if it's on, turn if off, and vice-versa).

Thanks but sadly, no settings like that at all. I have appreciated your help for sure. I'm only in this phone for another week so I think I can live with the 3G but it is odd that this is the approved model for Verizon, sold as such on Amazon to be 100% 4G on Verizon. So very strange.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the Verizon techs were also puzzled, I'd chalk it up to some kind of defect or some setting we've missed, rather than the model itself. Oh well. Can't wait to hear what you think of your new Pixel XL!:D

TheLokanna

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Since the Verizon techs were also puzzled, I'd chalk it up to some kind of defect or some setting we've missed, rather than the model itself. Oh well. Can't wait to hear what you think of your new Pixel XL!:D

So I have the OP's EXACT SAME issue going in. VZW tech support told me since it's not their sold device they won't support it but I could go to a corp store and try a new Sim. Figuring the Note 7 wasn't the best made device (I already miss that phone. Android perfection for me.. Ticked all the features I wanted!) I swapped the Sim. No 4g. They tried another. No 4g.

They then tried a micro Sim w/o telling me and still no 4g but left me with that so now I'm stuck with a sim that doesn't fit a modern phone (cmon lenovo, micro Sims in 2016, really?) So I had to call care and they're shipping me a new nano sim.

I have a Pixel XL due Nov 23 from Google, and I would like to use the moto 4g+ till then - it's not that bad! But man.. No 4g is killing me when I'm away from WiFi.

If anyone can think of another trick, please reply... I'm desperate! :)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So I have the OP's EXACT SAME issue going in. VZW tech support told me since it's not their sold device they won't support it but I could go to a corp store and try a new Sim. Figuring the Note 7 wasn't the best made device (I already miss that phone. Android perfection for me.. Ticked all the features I wanted!) I swapped the Sim. No 4g. They tried another. No 4g.

They then tried a micro Sim w/o telling me and still no 4g but left me with that so now I'm stuck with a sim that doesn't fit a modern phone (cmon lenovo, micro Sims in 2016, really?) So I had to call care and they're shipping me a new nano sim.

I have a Pixel XL due Nov 23 from Google, and I would like to use the moto 4g+ till then - it's not that bad! But man.. No 4g is killing me when I'm away from WiFi.

If anyone can think of another trick, please reply... I'm desperate! :)

Yeah, the Moto G4 is a fantastic phone for the price and will recommend it to a lot of people who don't want NEXT plans or contracts...I am not all that upset by using it until my Pixel XL arrives...if 4G really worked on Verizon, it would be better.

Amazon needs to change their product info and say that Verizon isn't 100% compatible...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
@garak0410, interestingly enough, I just ran into this exact same issue. Did you ever figure it out? My wife is currently using an unlocked XT1625 as a backup device. She has Verizon prepaid service. So far it has only showed 3G data.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
@garak0410, interestingly enough, I just ran into this exact same issue. Did you ever figure it out? My wife is currently using an unlocked XT1625 as a backup device. She has Verizon prepaid service. So far it has only showed 3G data.

No, never resolved and my Pixel arrived so moot point now. But I think Amazon needs to be aware of this and change their product description...

shrxwin

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought both the G4 and G4 Play Amazon versions after shutting down my Note 7. LTE service on both out of the box. On the G4 now, XT1625.

Maybe stop and get a new SIM? The SIM I used was new in September, when I switched back to my Note 2 during first recall the Verizon store had to give me a new SIM, saying my old one of the appropriate size was out if date or something.
Great phone for the price!

rkr1

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Same issue...

Just bought the non-prime XT1625 from Amazon for my wife. Verizon had to send me a new sim card as the sim from her HTC M8 was not registering properly. With the new sim, I'm stuck at 3g. I used online chat for help but they see no reason why it shouldn't connect at 4G. I'll be heading into a VZW store with hopes they can sort this out

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Same issue...

Just bought the non-prime XT1625 from Amazon for my wife. Verizon had to send me a new sim card as the sim from her HTC M8 was not registering properly. With the new sim, I'm stuck at 3g. I used online chat for help but they see no reason why it shouldn't connect at 4G. I'll be heading into a VZW store with hopes they can sort this out

I posted a few weeks ago that it was all but verified by a Verizon tech that it will not work. :( Hope they shed some light on it for you.