Need help finding Music Folder

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Did a search through the forum and didn't find anything to help with my question. I'm a really new Android user, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but...

I'm trying to transfer music from my PC to my phone. I've read the instructions to copy from my computer to the "music folder" on my phone via the USB cable. I'd be cool with that, except where the heck is the dang music folder? I have apps, I don't have folders. Also, I'd like to use an app called Black Player Exclusive for playback. Will this make a difference as to where I download the music files to, i.e., do I actually need to find that freaking music folder after all, which I've been searching for two days to find?

Why, yes, how did you know I was an iPhone user until recently?

TIA.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to find a music folder. You can make one yourself. It also won't really matter where you put the music, the apps will look for them itself.

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
You don't have to find a music folder. You can make one yourself. It also won't really matter where you put the music, the apps will look for them itself.
So, I could just drag the music files from my PC to my phone and drop them and the phone will sort it out on it's own? There is no option other than "Moto 4G" listed when I plug my phone into my computer. I really appreciate your help.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well apart from your files will be messy if you do that, then yes the music app will look for all audio files and sort them according to the id3 tags each file has.

Plug the phone into your computer and open the Moto 4G option. It will open up like a flash drive. Make a folder and stuff. Think of it as just another flash drive.

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks very much for your help, chanchan05. I suspect my phone should have some type of visible file system that isn't there. When I double click to open the phone when it's plugged into my computer, nothing appears. No folder/files hierarchy at all. Just nothing.

I'll just drag the music to the phone as I mentioned and you seem to indicate will work. I don't care if it's messy as long as it works. I'm sick of trying to fix this issue. Thanks again.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have no experience with Moto, but with Samsung and LG, when you plug the phone to a PC, there will be a notification on the pull down shade that says charging. Tap that and it opens a menu to choose different connection modes. You want MTP or Media Transfer Protocol. Maybe Moto ships with charging only mode.
Where would I do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, make sure the phone is on and the screen is unlocked when you connect via USB. (Of course, in order to swipe the notification panel down and tap the USB icon for MTP mode, the screen has to be unlocked in the first place.)

All Android devices have a directory called /Music -- I suspect you're just not seeing it because MTP hasn't been selected as your USB connection mode yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that doesn't happen when I plug my phone in. Thanks, anyway.

So when you connect the phone to the PC via USB and swipe down the notification panel, do you see any notification about the USB connection at all? If not, try a different USB cable, because some cables are intended for charging only (and USB cables can also fail).

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
So when you connect the phone to the PC via USB and swipe down the notification panel, do you see any notification about the USB connection at all? If not, try a different USB cable, because some cables are intended for charging only (and USB cables can also fail).

This could be my problem. I have been using my charging cable. I'll try another USB cable and hope for better luck. Thanks for this suggestion!

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
OK, so I've finally figured out where the Notification panel is that y'all were trying to get me to swipe. Duh. It has these options:

*Charge this device (default selection)
*Transfer files
Transfer files to another device
*Transfer photos (PTP)
Transfer photos or files if MTP is not supported
*Use device as MIDI

Am I getting closer to it now?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Select transfer files.
OK, so I've finally figured out where the Notification panel is that y'all were trying to get me to swipe. Duh. It has these options:

*Charge this device (default selection)
*Transfer files
Transfer files to another device
*Transfer photos (PTP)
Transfer photos or files if MTP is not supported
*Use device as MIDI

Am I getting closer to it now?

purpledawg87

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks to y'all who have helped me, I have finally solved my problem and transferred my music files over to my phone! I appreciate your patience and perseverance so much. I hope you have a great evening. :)