My mom is thinking of getting the Moto G4 (the one with Amazon ads for $50 off) after using an old iPhone for the last 5 years. She doesn't do a lot with it... surf the web, take a few pictures, send text messages etc.

Ive read that the G4 is prone to overheating and lagging (or at least thats what a few Youtube reviewers said) but it wasnt clear if it happened more for heavy gaming/video etc or if it was prone to overheat in regular every day use.

Does this phone hold up for regular every day use?
    08-31-2016 09:04 AM
    Depends on what you do. Mine overheated using the camera app for 10-15 minutes in direct sunlight. Also when using as navigation and charging on my dash mount.
    srkmagnus and libra89 like this.
    08-31-2016 06:44 PM
    Depends on what you do. Mine overheated using the camera app for 10-15 minutes in direct sunlight. Also when using as navigation and charging on my dash mount.
    Same issues but it takes less time to overheat ... A minute using the video camera in direct sunlight yesterday ... It completely bugged)
    And also experiencing lagging issues when using the GPS and charging the phone...
    Sometimes also the screen actions but itself and opens applications without using the phone !
    09-01-2016 07:40 AM
    I experience some overheating while using the camera as well. When casually using the device (e.g. browsing social network, reading news, using the browser, etc.) I don't seem to notice any "abnormal" heat or slowdown with the device. The only issue I am experiencing is the recent apps disappearing until I reboot. Could be a memory leak issue or some other software glitch. It's fixed upon reboot.
    09-02-2016 11:13 AM
    I've used this phone while traveling cross country. I don't game on my phone except for solitaire, but I do take tons of pictures and video, use GPS for navigation and location services in apps to find local places, and I also use the hotspot feature to tether my laptop. All this being said, I suffered no lag and the battery was quite impressive. I highly recommend this phone.

*Edit. Fixed some typos.
    cupofcloud likes this.
    09-06-2016 02:28 PM
    I've used this phone while traveling cross country. I don't game on my phone except for solitaire, but I do take tons of pictures and video, use GPS for navigation and location services in apps to find local places, and I also use the hotspot feature to tether my laptop. All this being said, I suffered no lag and the battery was quite impressive. I highly recommend this phone.
    I've also used the G4 since the initial release for camera/video, GPS navigation, streaming movies and TV, etc. and never had any issues with overheating or slowed performance.
    maclancer likes this.
    09-06-2016 08:50 PM
    For regular users, this phone is more than enough. I haven't experienced anything that would make replace it. I also, do light gaming, gps (a lot) and music playing.
    09-11-2016 01:51 PM
    I recently upgraded (lol) to a G 2016 from a Moto X pure 2015. You haven't seen overheating yet... 30 min of Angry Birds 2 on the X... 112F-116F. On the G, 103F-104F.
    11-30-2016 11:33 AM
    I've experienced overheating when using the video camera, and also in the car using GPS while plugged into the car charger. It's gotten warm on a few occasions just doing regular tasks, but not really that often where I'm concerned.
    Modern Android phones have a built-in safety feature which will shut your phone down if the device heats up to a dangerous level. So far I haven't had any heat related reboots.
    Frankly, I've had android phones in the past that would get way hotter.
    The SD617 tends to run hot at times, it's well documented, but it's not dangerous to the unit or battery lifeline. I've had my phone since mid-July and the battery performance is still exceptionally good.
    I wouldn't worry about the heat issues.
    11-30-2016 07:35 PM
    Same here, every phone I have had gets warm, I had mine in a full bumper while i was in hospital for a week, on charge,gaming for hours I don't think it throttled, certainly didn't power down, hospital was very warm it usually shows around 44 -46c after long gaming.
    It really isn't an issue.
    12-01-2016 04:47 AM