Moto G4 Battey life draining quickly especially over night

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
When I first got the device (2 weeks ago) the battery was unbelievably good. Just yesterday I went to sleep with 95℅ I had just charged it then unplugged it ( it dropped 5 percent, all I did was open Pokémon go for like 5 mins ) I slept for 6-7 hours so that's how long he phone was idle. I woke up with 65℅. When I checked what was using the battery it said mobile standby 7℅ and a few other things all 2 percent. I didn't use the phone at all no updates in the background or anything!

Another Moto G4 user who got the same phone from the same network provider at nearly the same time as me experienced similar things had 25℅ battery and woke up with a dead battery! He also said when the phone was new ( a couple days old ) he also didn't have this issue but now it's 2 weeks ish old like mine same issues - and I also agree when the phone was a day old or two i didn't experience this.

Anyone experienced the same?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, there!

I am sorry that you are experiencing this! I was going to ask you how old your phone was - thank you for stating its age in your post!

One factor that may be contributing to your battery's performance is the network signal you are currently receiving. What is the coverage like in your area for your carrier? Is your signal or network connection low on bars? If your phone has to search for a signal, that will definitely take a toll on the battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2016/754046-cell-standby-eating-battery.htmlhttp://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2016/754046-cell-standby-eating-battery.htmlAs requested. In the order requested.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Interestingly, that night I chose not to charge to 100% because it was at 95% and I was about to sleep ( to charge 5 % for 6 hours I thought no point) so during that night it dropped from 95% to 85% which is odd only a 10% drop.

However, when I mentioned my 30% drop it looked EXACTLY like this http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2016/754046-cell-standby-eating-battery.html (although mine happened over night)

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My guess (like Morty2264's) is that your cell signal isn't great where you sleep, judging by the cell signal strength bar and the high Mobile Standby battery usage. The phone might be using more battery as it tries to latch onto a signal. Unless you need your phone on in case of emergency calls overnight, consider turning on Airplane Mode while you sleep.

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Whats interesting is that i sometimes have the lowest signal ( see pic) and then as soon as i make a call it jumps to FULL. Also, moving my hand just a few centimetres causes the signal to improve.
Screenshot_20161225-140635-2.png

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi, there!

I am sorry that you are experiencing this! I was going to ask you how old your phone was - thank you for stating its age in your post!

One factor that may be contributing to your battery's performance is the network signal you are currently receiving. What is the coverage like in your area for your carrier? Is your signal or network connection low on bars? If your phone has to search for a signal, that will definitely take a toll on the battery.

Coverage amazing.
Signal has low bars quite often.

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Today I used the phone from 95℅ to 2% what's odd is that when I checked battery usage then checked each "app" mentioned and found the sum of the computed mAh it was 1900 so even if round up to 2000 what has happened to 1000 mAh?!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mean 100 mAh, of course. It probably has to do with the fact that a 0% battery level reported by the phone isn't truly 0% -- it's probably more like 3-5%, since a complete discharge of a lithium battery is irreversible. The phone won't let you discharge the battery completely, so it probably calibrates its 0% to be around the true 3-5%.

zikohh

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
No I mean 1000mAh. It's a 3000mAh battery. But bear in mind i mean 1000mAh is missing from 2700 since the battery was not full/ Maybe the issue is that i cant sum up the mAh since the battery usage list only resets when the battery is full (i think??)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Whoops, sorry I misunderstood!:) I'm not sure if all of the mAh that are listed normally add up to the capacity of the battery, but I'm certainly not an expert in the area.