photos saving in multiple places on motog4?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am having trouble managing the amount of pictures on my phone and could use some help figuring out where they are saved.
I am using a Moto G4, running Android 7.
About a year ago I installed a 64GB microSD card and set it up as internal storage. I had expected my photos to be saved to this card instead of the 16gb storage that came with the phone. However this doesn't seem to be happening and I am running out of space.
These are my current storage specs:
62,93gb used of 75.61gb

Internal shared storage: 10.46gb used of 10.94gb. Within this category, under apps, Photos takes up 2.56gb

Samsung SD card: 47.41 used of 59.61gb. Within this category, Images contains 35.92gb

My question is how do I locate the 2.56gb worth of files contained in Photos and move them to the Samsung SD card?

I know I can free up space by having google delete pictures older than 30 days (aside: can this default 30 be changed to say, 365?) but my phone only has access to wifi about half the year so I like to have my photos saved to the device.

Under the settings for my Camera app the Save settings are "Storage: Phone" This is greyed out and I can not change it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The point of setting the card as internal storage (this is called adoptable storage) is so you don't have to think about things like this. The phone is managing the storage, let it. For what it's worth - while this is an option it's not highly suggested. SD cards are just not designed for the write cycles needed for active storage of apps on Android. You really need to have a decent backup plan for your photos or you risk losing them when the SD card starts failing.

Under the settings for my Camera app the Save settings are "Storage: Phone" This is greyed out and I can not change it.

This is because you chose to configure your SD card as internal storage.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

mananath

Jul 8, 2019
Visit site
Well my problem is that I can no longer install apps as it is saying there is not enough space so it seems that the phone is not managing the storage correctly. For example, the play store app is saying I only have 615mb free. When in fact, if the internal storage and SD card are truly blended I should have close to 12gb free.

All my photos are backed up by google so I am not concerned about losing them long term.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781