Moto G4 turned off while charging.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My mum's G4 turned itself off yesterday while on charge. She was doing something on the phone, think she was replying to a message then all of a sudden her phone turned off. How can a phone turn off while charging? What would cause this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Battery or motherboard failure would be my first thoughts. Or, if the phone was getting unusually hot, it might have forced an emergency shutdown. Was she able to power it back on again? Has she noticed unusual battery behavior lately?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The phone wasn't to hot to shut itself down but was warm as it was on charge. Yeah she turned it back on fine straight away & she hasn't said anything about unusual battery behaviour apart from the phone not lasting as long as it did when she first got it which is usual for a phone thats 2 years old or older.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would still guess it has to do with the battery's age and the battery temp as it was charging while your mother was actively using it. This is the kind of thing that Apple was trying to prevent with its now infamous built-in throttling as their phones aged, thus causing the phone to slow down. The purpose was to decrease CPU usage and therefore stress on the battery as it aged, because if there was enough power demand that the battery was unable to meet, the phone could suddenly shut off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670