Are you happy with your G5 Plus?

frozentundra1

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Mine is the 4gb model. I invested the extra money with the idea that it would be a good enough phone to last me a while and the extra ram would future proof it a little.

I could live with it, if only the cellular signal were on par with my Moto G3 or the hand-me-down iPhones I've used. Right now I'm sitting in the middle of a relatively large population center and the signal is fluctuating between half and lower. I've little doubt my other phones would be maximum signal right now.

Is there anything I can do about that?

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Very pleasantly surprised: seems snappier overall than the S7 Active I am coming off of.

The 64GB memory is a great improvement over the S7 that was always running out and needed "Active" management.

The camera image quality is worse then the Samsung S7 Active, pretty bad in fact, in low light. But I expected this from the reviews.

The back and recents and home button crunched into the fingerprint censor works GREAT. I don't understand the reviews where it didn't work for the reviewer. I also tried an Axon 7 along the way: the back/recents/home are terrible on that. This is a joy.

I'm not missing NFC: the phone integrates perfectly with my Samsung Gear S3 watch and "Samsung Pay", which is a far better experience than holding a phone over a credit card terminal.

Also in regards to the Axon 7 (a phone which seems crude in comparison, other than its huge bright screen). The Axon could NOT keep a cell signal: it constantly dropped it. So I tried the Moto after seeing reviews, and it was like night and day compared to the Axon 7.

Pleasant surprise? Everyone is hating on the speakers. Well, I am not a golden-ears audio snob, and am more like a cloth-eared nincompoop I guess. I like the speakers for being nicely LOUD, and the Moto G 5th seems as loud as the vaunted Axon 7, and much louder than the Samsung S7 Active.

I'm not needing perfect audio fidelity. I mostly listen to podcasts on the speakers, after all.

Unpleasant surprise? It has no compass. But this is not any sort of deal breaker, and it is "my bad" for not researching this feature first.

Cringeworthy moment? The FLASH graphics boot up cartoon. I suppose if I were 14 years old, I'd love it.

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site

goodenough

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. Perhaps you need to put up two links, so we can compare?

Regardless, the link you gave has a $184.99 price, and not $229:

List Price: $229.99
Price: $184.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $45.00 (19%)

That's bizarre. I see $229 for both options when I click that link I posted.
14y6cu1.jpg

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I agree on the boot up graphics. At least we can silence the stupid "Hello Moto" sound. ??????

The whole thing, FLASH cartoon, and heavily accented "Hello Moto" is embarassing. always making me wonder if I bought a phone for 14 year olds.

The Axon 7 is similar: the bootup graphics are awful and seem borrowed from an ancient "Sega Genesis".

The iPhone and Samsung bootups are modern and elegant and never embarrassing.

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I agree on the boot up graphics. At least we can silence the stupid "Hello Moto" sound. 😀

The whole thing, FLASH cartoon, and heavily accented "Hello Moto" is embarassing. always making me wonder if I bought a phone for 14 year olds.

The Axon 7 is similar: the bootup graphics are awful and seem borrowed from an ancient "Sega Genesis".

The iPhone and Samsung bootups are modern and elegant and never embarrassing.

goodenough

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My friend has this to say about Samsung 7: It's made for stupid(er) people. It asks me questions for things that my Motorola simply assumed based on past behavior. Samsung had this thing called TouchWiz that messes with the nearly perfect GUI that Android already is...and unfortunately makes it less usable. No you don't need to ask me which wifi hotspot every time I come home. No you don't need to ask me which Bluetooth every time I get into my car or try to connect you with my headphones. No you don't need to notify me of every stupid little thing (without putting it as an option in notification settings). The stock keyboard is ****.

TwoDollarCuts

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Generally I think this phone is fantastic minus the camera in low light. I'm using the 4:3 mode with the back camera usually and the typical smartphone problems come up with lighting and what have you, but it's also coming from an HTC M7 so go figure. The front camera was ok. A little blurry, but may have been my drunk hands. I noticed that there was a bit of a purple tint in some of my low light pictures and that was certainly not my drunk hands so I'll have to look into that.

If you're worried about speed, it's quite snappy, and definitely do not worry about the battery because oh my goodness that thing is fantastic. Bless it's heart because I wouldn't have been able to survive without a battery pack with all the directions I looked up on my trip in Asia.

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Does the g5 plus run warm? I have a g4 and while it's not the oven that the X Pure 2015 it is hot if playing Angry Birds...

My daughter got this 5 plus on Prime day (the special with ads) and so far it's good. I'm amazed the 5p with 5.2 screen is the same physical size as my g4...

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Does the g5 plus run warm? I have a g4 and while it's not the oven that the X Pure 2015 it is hot if playing Angry Birds...

My daughter got this 5 plus on Prime day (the special with ads) and so far it's good. I'm amazed the 5p with 5.2 screen is the same physical size as my g4...

What do you mean by that last sentence?

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
The g4 I have is 5.5 inches. DD's g5p is 5.2. the two phones are very similar in size. You'd think 5.2 vs 5.5 would be noticeable. I know 5.7 to 5.5 is, big time. I switched from a MXPE 2015 to the g4.

In other words I expected the g5p to be smaller.

Macdtek

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I was so impressed with the regular g5 that I bought as my daughter's first phone that after I dropped my dtek60 I went out and bought the g5 plus with out hesitation. the price to repair my flakey dtek60 was almost the same as the cost of the g5 plus. Personally I don't need the razamataz, bells and whistles that dtek offered but I was a dedicated BB fan boy.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I am visiting the G5 Plus forum for the first time.
My new G5 Plus arrived yesterday.I bought it on a Flipkart sale with an additional price reduction as I exchanged an old 1 GB ram phone and I also got another 10% off from my bank card. It is 24 hours that I am using it after setting it up and I am quite liking it.I have a G4 Plus which my son will be using.Also I am more comfortable with the size than I was with the G4Plus.
The phone case and screen guard is yet to arrive though.

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I love my Moto g5 plus, glad I got the 64gb.
2 thing don't like about it: 1. Yes hard to see when out in the sun.
2.I bout this phone also because of the using a SD card, using a Gigastone 64gb card. Moto said twice that card is corrupt, luckily I back up the phone, so I let Moto do the format, and put stuff back in. See what if it will happen again.
Fast phone, cell phone signal good too!
Clear listening, and talking!
Enjoy you all!

maxisme543

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I have the Moto G5 plus and it's the best out there for the price.

PROS:
  • Good battery life
  • Excelent fingerprint scanner
  • Fast

CONS:
  • Camera is average

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36