Are you happy with your G5 Plus?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering a G5 Plus as my next phone. Is everyone happy with theirs so far? I know it's not a "flagship" type phone but I'm good with that. I currently use a Nexus 5X so mid range works for me. I would consider another Google phone because the experience (betas and security patches) has been good for me. But I'm not dropping close to a $1000.00 on a phone.

My only concern is Motorola's terrible record with security patches and OS updates. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm seriously considering a G5 Plus as my next phone. Is everyone happy with theirs so far? I know it's not a "flagship" type phone but I good with that. I currently use a Nexus 5X so mid range works for me. I would consider another Google phone because the experience (betas and security patches) has been good for me. But I'm not dropping close to a $1000.00 on a phone.

My only concern is Motorola's terrible record with security patches and OS updates. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
I have one as well as S7 Edge and I like everything better about the G5 except for the camera and the screen feels like it's under glass where as on my S7 it "floats" on top. If you have the 5X I think it will be more of a side ways move only thing i would think would improve would be the battery and MAYBE screen depending on you

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm enjoyg​ the G5 it's snappy fast with just Android 7 and no other bloat ware on top of it , I'm over high priced phones I'm afraid to break and being stuck with a brand carrier , camera is ok ,LCD screen is good for the price it's great ,no complaints here
Ok one complaint no nfs in the states bummer

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the 2gig one as a backup-ish. I use an iPhone.

It's a fantastic phone. I mean really, really good. I could easily use it as my main device.

The SIM tray design is the stupidest thing I've ever seen though.

I wouldn't recommend any other phone at this price point. Period.

iPhone 7+
IMG_2727.jpg

Moto G5+
IMG_20170401_191559183_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for 48 hours. I enjoy every part of this device. The camera though is the reason I'll be sending it back. I knew I couldn't expect flagship results but I thought it would perform a bit better than it does. With small children I want something that will perform well. As always, YMMV.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for 48 hours. I enjoy every part of this device. The camera though is the reason I'll be sending it back. I knew I couldn't expect flagship results but I thought it would perform a bit better than it does. With small children I want something that will perform well. As always, YMMV.
It's the same f1.7 sensor as the S7/S7 Edge.

The software is the issue. Maybe try the Open Camera app? Or pray Moto/Lenovo's engineers are able to tweak the processing to meet Samsung's coding?

Also, I've noticed the images look pretty bad on the phone itself. Once you view them on a computer, they look much better. Not sure what's up with that, but it's true.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

The software is the issue. Maybe try the Open Camera app? Or pray Moto/Lenovo's engineers are able to tweak the processing to meet Samsung's coding?

Also, I've noticed the images look pretty bad on the phone itself. Once you view them on a computer, they look much better. Not sure what's up with that, but it's true.
Thanks going to give the open camera app a try.
Coming from the iPhone 7+ with outstanding camera and photo software it's a ajustment .
Have always been a Android fan and not having a carrier UI stacked on top of Android 7 just makes things so simple and better.
Now the turn the phone to open the camera is pretty cool or shake for flashlight , I'm new to Motorola so I appreciate the little things.
And I just noticed the twist still opens the stock camera and I replaced the one in the dock with the open camera app icon 😀

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I know it has the same sensor but I don't have much faith the software will change if at all. BTW, nice picture of Timp.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I know it has the same sensor but I don't have much faith the software will change if at all. BTW, nice picture of Timp.

Haha you know where I am :) Not sure why the pics posted twice. Oh well. I'm not confident Moto will 'fix' the image processing either.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Ok the stock camera just saves images to the generic location , the open camera app has a very nice software to it for customization and I chose the sd card for photo storage so now depending on what camera I choose say for every day average shots the local camera/storage will be fine! But for pics I want to save or work with the open camera app auto to the sd card is good many more options for camera work now

Execlent susgestion Coolbrezze 78

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Tips and tricks ,how about a UI tuner or split screen ,picked these tips up on a utube video
https://youtu.be/dwJ9sWsvisQ
b174b644e234caa7af87b0cdf05f1a88.jpg
898194154863a5ea65e550f0f3c30d14.jpg

534dc1492ca98a6ffff4ae345a405d8b.jpg
aa4ae4f5bef7551324ae56d36c627305.jpg

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I understand it will sort of be a lateral move but I'm looking for more ram and more storage (4GB and 64GB) plus SD card support. If my 5X had an SD card I would probably just stay with it. With the G5 Plus only being $299.00 it seems like a good deal.

I do still have concerns about Moto's security patch policy but maybe shouldn't expect too much for $300.00.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm enjoyg​ the G5 it's snappy fast with just Android 7 and no other bloat ware on top of it , I'm over high priced phones I'm afraid to break and being stuck with a brand carrier , camera is ok ,LCD screen is good for the price it's great ,no complaints here
Ok one complaint no nfs in the states bummer

Yeah I've seen the lack of NFC mentioned before but thruthfully, I currently don't ever use it so it's not a deal breaker for me.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my G5 plus. It was a bit of a PIA getting it activated with Sprint, but that was on Sprint's side not Moto's fault.

It's an upgrade in every way over the G4 plus with the possible exception of the screen, which is smaller and seems a little less bright than the G4 plus.

The biggest area of improvement is battery life and the processor. I got 5 hours of SOT yesterday which is probably better than any phone I have ever owned including the old Droid Maxx or Droid Turbo. The phone performs flawlessly and I'd bet if you handed it to random people on the street 90% would never guess this isn't a $700 phone.

There are few software differences between the G4 and G5, and most of the few changes are for the better. I particularly like the one button fingerprint controls instead of the on screen buttons. It is a useful and non-obtrusive software modification that feels like it came out of googorola days. It took me about 4 or 5 hours to get used to it and I'm not going back. One software difference I don't like is the new active display widget which doesn't seem necessary, but I can live with it. I guess my love for the active display asthetic going back to the OG Moto X is why I don't like that change.

Overall, this phone is a fantastic value if not an outright fantastic phone in and of itself. Particularly at the Amazon prices.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input. One thing I love about this site is users ability to state in detail why they do or don't like something and all of these posts are very helpful in that regards.

I was leaning towards a Nokia because of the promised updates but it appears that the Nokia's wont work on Verizon so I guess they're out of contention.

I have a Droid Maxx 2 which I was happy with except for the Verizon bloatware. It had good build quality, great battery life and wasn't too bad performance wise. Once I got used to the fingerprint sensor on the 5X that was it. That is a must have for me now.

I like what Moto does software wise leaving Android more or less alone. The G5 Plus seems to tick all the right boxes for me hardware wise.

Last edited:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your input. One thing I love about this site is users ability to state in detail why they do or don't like something and all of these posts are very helpful in that regards.

I was leaning towards a Nokia because of the promised updates but it appears that the Nokia's wont work on Verizon so I guess they're out of contention.

I have a Droid Maxx 2 which I was happy with except for the (Verizon bloatware). It had good build quality, great battery life and wasn't too bad performance wise. Once I got used to the fingerprint sensor on the 5X that was it. That is a must have for me now.

I like what Moto does software wise leaving Android more or less alone. The G5 Plus seems to tick all the right boxes for me hardware wise.

Yeah, I had a Droid Maxx 2 at one point as well. I agree it was a great phone and the G5 feels very similar in the hand. But the SD625 blows that old SD615 out of the water!

One point of advice: if you do pick this phone up, don't go into the Verizon store to activate it. Just take the SIM out of your current active Verizon phone and put it in the G5. It will work. If you take it in, most Verizon employees will pretend that because you didn't buy the phone from them they can't activate it and then try to up-sell you for a commission.

A lot of people complained about Verizon's inability to activate the G4 plus when it was first released and I'm convinced 95% of the problem was either unscrupulous or just plain dumb Verizon employees.

Last edited:

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I took out the phone today while out in the woods to take photos and video. Now that I've had a chance to do a little more testing I am actually think of keeping this around. I had go remember no device is perfect. Ive grown tired of paying mega bucks for devices and honestly this is actually doing a fantastic job besides the few annoyances.

Also I'll probably be exchanging the 2gb version I have and get the 4gb.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I had a Droid Maxx 2 at one point as well. I agree it was a great phone and the G5 feels very similar in the hand. But the SD625 blows that old SD615 out of the water!

One point of advice: if you do pick this phone up, don't go into the Verizon store to activate it. Just take the SIM out of your current active Verizon phone and put it in the G5. It will work. If you take it in, most Verizon employees will pretend that because you didn't buy the phone from them they can't activate it and then try to up-sell you for a commission.

A lot of people complained about Verizon's inability to activate the G4 plus when it was first released and I'm convinced 95% of the problem was either unscrupulous or just plain dumb Verizon employees.

Thanks for that advice. That was my plan for activating it. That's all I did when I got my 5X, just popped in the sim from my Maxx 2 and it came right up. I've learned the hard way to leave Verizon out of the loop as much as possible.

The Maxx 2 could feel a bit sluggish at times especially after I encrypted it. Not awful, but slow compared to my 5X. Updating apps from the Google store took a long time.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I took out the phone today while out in the woods to take photos and video. Now that I've had a chance to do a little more testing I am actually think of keeping this around. I had go remember no device is perfect. Ive grown tired of paying mega bucks for devices and honestly this is actually doing a fantastic job besides the few annoyances.

Also I'll probably be exchanging the 2gb version I have and get the 4gb.

I plan on going for the 4GB/64GB version. It seems hard to beat for $300.00.

Again, thanks to all that replied!

mchype

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone verify whether the Verizon 4GB/64GB version allows tethering?
What about the Amazon Prime exclusive pricing version? (Same version, but has ads...)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463