How are photos organized in Android 7.0 Nougat on Moto G5 plus?

spikemotog5

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
I just bought a Moto G5+. I transferred a bunch of data (texts, contacts, photos, etc.) from my old phone to my new phone using the T-Mobile Content Transfer app (which might have complicated things). For now, I am just trying to understand what happened to my photos, how they are organized, and where they are stored on my phone. I have a 128GB SD card installed and I have modified my camera settings to store my photos on the memory (SD) card.
Screenshot_5a.JPG

When I use the Google Photos app on my phone, I see things I do not expect and cannot figure out. For example, the DCIM/Camera folder on my SD card contains about 285 images. But when I open Google Photos, I only see 6 photos under "Camera".
When I snoop around in the phone's storage, I start at the phone's storage settings (see below).Screenshot_1.jpg

Then I tap Internal Shared Storage (see below)
Screenshot_2.jpg

Then I tap Images (see below)
Screenshot_3.jpg

The things that confuse me:
1. There are multiple folders with the same name (e.g., there are two Camera folders and not shown in the screen shot are two more GroupMe folders for a total of 3).
2. None of these folders contain only those six photos that Google Photos is showing me under "Camera".
3. The Camera folders each contain 200+ images but Google Photos is not showing them to me.

Can someone explain the design, rationale, approach that makes sense out of what looks like a confusing structure? Again, note that the T-Mobile Content Transfer app may have complicated things.

Thanks much.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that I posted this question for a Moto G5 in the Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum.

I have asked that it be moved for you.

You are seeing double folders because you set the SD card as default for the camera, so that creates a 'set' of standard folders that were also created on your phone when you transferred over the photos. Google Photos is an organizer, it takes your photos and "organizes" them for you whether you want it to or not. If you go hunting past it's opening screen you should fine the rest. There are also different views. I much prefer the default Gallery as it shows folders and pics the way I want instead of changing them all around to 'help me'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae