Future updates

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So is there any word what type of future updates the g5 plus will get? I know moto isn't the best with updates but doesn't even seem to be getting security patches..

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is apparently trying to be the absolute worst OEM when it comes to security patches. With Moto's minimal changes to stock Android you would think rolling in a patch every half year or so wouldn't be too difficult.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Heard it was quarterly. Probably can expect one or maybe two major OS updates. I'm not sure of Motonovo's track record with updating their G-series.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Quarterly I could live with. My G5 Plus is still on January.

Do you really need quarterly updates. I mean I don't download sketchy apps, sideload anything or visit websites that are compromising. Even if I did do the Security patches make that much of a difference? I'm just trying to understand the whole thing.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you really need quarterly updates. I mean I don't download sketchy apps, sideload anything or visit websites that are compromising. Even if I did do the Security patches make that much of a difference? I'm just trying to understand the whole thing.

Let's put it this way. Google thinks it important enough to issue monthly updates to Nexus and Pixel devices. I myself do not frequent the sort of sites that may cause problems but the patches may also address other exploits and what's wrong with being as safe as possible?

In Moto's case it seems especially frustrating because their version of Android is so close to stock that one would think it shouldn't be all that difficult.

I bought a G5 knowing Moto's previous history hoping for some improvement so that's on me.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Let's put it this way. Google thinks it important enough to issue monthly updates to Nexus and Pixel devices. I myself do not frequent the sort of sites that may cause problems but the patches may also address other exploits and what's wrong with being as safe as possible?

In Moto's case it seems especially frustrating because their version of Android is so close to stock that one would think it shouldn't be all that difficult.

I bought a G5 knowing Moto's previous history hoping for some improvement so that's on me.
I guess my thought process is still fairly rooted in iOS and the random updates that are not scheduled. I see your point.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess my thought process is still fairly rooted in iOS and the random updates that are not scheduled. I see your point.
Staying away from sketchy apps and dodgy websites is a good practice on any device that is on the internet in my opinion. But having an OS that is up to date security wise just adds another layer of protection. Absolutely necessary? Maybe not. Desirable? Yes as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
The last time I checked Moto has more phones on Nougat than any other manufacturer, and the first manufacturer to update phones to Nougat after the Pixel received it. They may not publish monthly security updates every single month, but they have been good about OS updates.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well my Maxx 2 never received the Nougat update that was promised but Verizon is involved in that so who knows. About the only time you will get a security patch from Moto is IF you get an OS update.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is apparently trying to be the absolute worst OEM when it comes to security patches. With Moto's minimal changes to stock Android you would think rolling in a patch every half year or so wouldn't be too difficult.

Agree. Crazy they are so bad, even with security patches.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

With the constant hacking going on, yes, security updates are almost more important than OS updates. I don't download sketchy apps either, but look at the constant hacks (Verizon is latest) that is not user error (a vzw employee caused it) I still want my phone to be secure because you can never be too safe anymore

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If you like to root. This phone has amazing ROM support, so its easy to always have the lasted build through custom roms.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you like to root. This phone has amazing ROM support, so its easy to always have the lasted build through custom roms.

Being able to root and having ROM support is great for those that want to tinker a lot. I buy unlocked phones so I don't have to root to purge all the bloatware from my phone. I would really rather not have to deal with all that just to have an up to date device.

OEMs really need to step up and provide timely security updates. Overall I am personally less concerned with OS versions than I am with security patches.