New update

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can do complete cache wipe either from recovery or from the bootloader. Either are safe and will cause no problems. I did it on mine from recovery immediately after first boot from the upgrade.
Those are different processes and delete different files. The cache partition wipe from recovery will delete temporary system files and it won't free additional storage, since this partition is reserved. Clearing cached data from the settings (apps or storage) will delete files used by your apps and it will give you some extra free storage.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yep, got mine yesterday in the UK. Gained 1/2 Gb of storage but I think it will soon disappear as it did with the Oreo update.
Talking about the update and storage. After the latest update if you go to settings - storage it takes ages for the screen to load. Have you noticed that? It's been the same on a G5+ and a G5S+.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Those are different processes and delete different files. The cache partition wipe from recovery will delete temporary system files and it won't free additional storage, since this partition is reserved. Clearing cached data from the settings (apps or storage) will delete files used by your apps and it will give you some extra free storage.
Yet, that will work. Temporarily. When you open and begin using the app, the cache will rebuild. It is there to speed up load times, continually deleting it does no good in the long run.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So is the only potential issue the difference in sensitivity of the finger sensor on the bottom? How is this working out? I use the quick swipes on my G5+ (US) so would not be happy if I couldn't use them any more.

Any other issues, provided you clear the cache partition after updating?

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
Yep, got mine yesterday in the UK. Gained 1/2 Gb of storage but I think it will soon disappear as it did with the Oreo update.

FYI.
Update on storage gained after security update. It's taken 4 weeks to loose the extra storage gained after the update, as I said, it's not unexpected, I guess it's just the cache building up again as I haven't added any more apps or photos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz