Moto g5+ screen goes black when making a call

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
moto g5 + Screen goes black when I hit "send" to make a call. Case on or off. Proximity sensor has been troubleshooted. Checked and changed all display, call and notification settings.

Seeing this on other forums but no solution.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only reason this would occur is a proximity sensor issue.

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it still does it, if it does then try a factory reset. If it fixes it, then it's app conflict. Otherwise your only recourse is to get Moto to fix it.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it even happens in safe mode but there is a half second delay before happens when in safe mode. Eventually I can get it back on bit is can take 2 or 3 times getting the correct length push, and because the phone is ringing you can't answer it during all that. On an outgoing call from the car you can't tap "speaker phone" so one must fumble with the phone to amswer a call. This is dangerous! If one accidentally dials a call there is no to know it and no way to stop it. I have veen trying "keep screen on" apps but none of them help with this issue.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it even happens in safe mode but there is a half second delay before happens when in safe mode. Eventually I can get it back on bit is can take 2 or 3 times getting the correct length push, and because the phone is ringing you can't answer it during all that. On an outgoing call from the car you can't tap "speaker phone" so one must fumble with the phone to amswer a call. This is dangerous! If one accidentally dials a call there is no to know it and no way to stop it. I have veen trying "keep screen on" apps but none of them help with this issue.
That's a weird one... Do you have a case or screen protector installed? Could be interfering with the proximity sensor.

SystemVerilog

May 27, 2018
Visit site
This worked for me: Go to setup, accessability, and turn OFF the "power button ends call"

That stops that behavior 99% of the time. Once the screeen turned off, but it turned back on with the fingerprint for back on.

Brcobrem

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi SystemVerilog et al.,

Thanks! "...turn OFF the "power button ends call" worked for me too : )

The phone owner had actually turned this on to fix the problem of the display turning off and not coming back on during a call. They did that because enabling it let them use the power button to make sure they could end a call, even though the screen was annoyingly black. In retrospect, they may have had some other problem at the time. Unfortunately, enabling that insured that their "display turning off and not coming back on during a call" would never get fixed.

In all fairness, and to the phone owner's defense, enabling "power button ends call" is mentioned elsewhere on the internet as a way to fix the problem. I think whatever article they read should have been more clear that it was not a fix for the screen off problem during a call, but rather only a workaround to insure that a black screen call could be ended for certain. All this said, let us all know that enabling "power button ends call" is a wonderful feature for people who have a visual impairment (or anyone else that needs this tactile functionality) and need to know they've ended a call, without needing to look at the screen.

Note that the one thing I did after disabling that, was to immediately reboot the phone. The user then had immediate joy: The display would light up as desired when the phone was pulled away from their ear.

I will also add that only today, before I did the disable and reboot, the user showed me that the screen would actually turn on after pulling away from the ear, but only when they were in the phone app's voice messaging function, and not during a call as we've been discussing. In voice messaging, I could make it go off and back on consistently by pulling away form the ear and moving it back. That told me the proximity sensor was working just fine. I was worried about that because the phone had recently been serviced to replace a bad battery.

Btw, I'll post back here if the "fix" doesn't hold.

Regards . . .

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol