Moto G5 Plus spontaneous "soft reboots" since Daylight Saving Time (DST)?

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto G5 Plus (build #NPNS25.137-93-4), that is up to date with all of the latest patches (Jan 1 2018 security patch) available at this time. The last 2 mornings (since DST change) my phone has spontaneously "soft rebooted" at about 4:15am. It wakes me up when it plays the startup chime and "Hello Moto". I say it's a soft reboot because it is not stopping to ask for my PIN -- thank goodness, otherwise it would be stuck waiting on that input and my alarm wouldn't go off and I'd oversleep! Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know that it's tied to the DST change, but I haven't updated any Apps recently and it's just odd that it has happened both days at exactly the same time since DST change.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Moto G5 Plus (build #NPNS25.137-93-4), that is up to date with all of the latest patches (Jan 1 2018 security patch) available at this time. The last 2 mornings (since DST change) my phone has spontaneously "soft rebooted" at about 4:15am. It wakes me up when it plays the startup chime and "Hello Moto". I say it's a soft reboot because it is not stopping to ask for my PIN -- thank goodness, otherwise it would be stuck waiting on that input and my alarm wouldn't go off and I'd oversleep! Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know that it's tied to the DST change, but I haven't updated any Apps recently and it's just odd that it has happened both days at exactly the same time since DST change.
Mine did the same thing... Wipe cache and it cleared it right up.

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Which "cache"? I know how to clear the cache for a specific App, but do you mean something else? According to Google Play I have 196 Apps installed. Do you mean to go in and clear each of those individually, one at a time???

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Which "cache"? I know how to clear the cache for a specific App, but do you mean something else? According to Google Play I have 196 Apps installed. Do you mean to go in and clear each of those individually, one at a time???
You can clear the cache files for all your apps in settings - storage - cached data, but I think @acejavelin means wiping the cache partition from recovery.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you acejavelin, that seems to have done the trick!
Honestly... That's my go to answer on Moto for weird things that make no sense, seems like about every 3-6 months this needs to be done just to keep things running smoothly. Been that way on all Moto's we have owned since our original Moto G back in 2013, and we have had several.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I thought all Android phones have a wipe cache partition option, not just Moto? I have seen users with other phone models discuss wiping the cache to clear up minor strange issues.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought all Android phones have a wipe cache partition option, not just Moto? I have seen users with other phone models discuss wiping the cache to clear up minor strange issues.
Yeah, many devices include this option, but the cache partition has been removed in phones that include the new 'seamless updates/dual partition' feature (Pixels, Z2 Force, X4 ...).

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, many devices include this option, but the cache partition has been removed in phones that include the new 'seamless updates/dual partition' feature (Pixels, Z2 Force, X4 ...).
I forgot about that new dual partition feature. Thanks for the reminder.