G5 Plus (or even GS Plus) ... worth it today vs. alternatives?

Loren Terveen

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I always keep my old phones as backups. I use them purely on WiFi, without a SIM card, as media viewers, game playing, a bit of social media, etc., primarily at night while I have my primary phone on the charger.

Currently, my 'backups' are a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Note 4. The Note 3 works fine, but is pretty old and slow. The Note 4 appears to have some sort of hardware problem, otherwise, I'd be satisfied to continue using that as my backup.

Obviously, the reason I'm writing here is that I've been thinking about buying some version of the G5 to serve as my backup. Especially with the G6's coming out, the prices would drop even more, I'd expect (and they're already very good on eBay especially).

My question is: what is the performance of a G5 like vs. old 'flagships' (like the Note 3 and 4)? I would presume it's at least as good, but wanted to get some input from real users before pulling the trigger. If the G5's are would be noticeably slower (than the Note 3 or Note 4), I wouldn't want to go in that direction.

Any other pros and cons I should consider?

Thanks very much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a G5 Plus for about a year and liked it for the most part. Good screen, excellent battery life, decent performance. The main problem was that Bluetooth call quality was terrible, which was a dealbreaker since she spends a lot of time on calls for business. But as a backup phone, I think it would still fit the bill, and probably outperforms the Note 3 and Note 4.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You may have to shop closely as I do not know how many of the G5 and G5+ are still available since they upgraded them to a G5S and G5S+.. I don't remember the differences but I do recommend you research. My G5 plus works great from day one and Bo problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance