I moved photos on my phone from internal memory to inserted SD card. The MBs and file extension jpg are showing but cannot view them. How to fix?
    11-01-2018 09:42 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which app are you using to try to view them? What directory did you move them to? Using a file manager app, make sure there isn't a file called .nomedia in that directory.
    Scott337 and SpookDroid like this.
    11-01-2018 11:02 AM
    Have you tried moving them back to internal memory or sharing to another app? I wonder if when moved to the SD card the write failed (which means those pictures are no longer usable).
    11-01-2018 11:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which app are you using to try to view them? What directory did you move them to? Using a file manager app, make sure there isn't a file called .nomedia in that directory.
    I haven't even gotten this far. I created a folder called SD Card and want to move all my Camera folder photos to this folder, but I can't even see how to move this folder to the SD card. File manager doesn't give me an option to change the location.

I tried connecting to Windows PC (which I used to do regularly with my old Moto X) but windows doesn't see the files. I selected File Manager option but apparently it doesn't like that.

I also added phone to my windows profile but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, it is possible to save photos/videos to SD card by default? The only thing I'm using my SD card for is a few apps that are allowed to run there.
    02-23-2019 10:13 AM
    You should be able to change the Pic / Video storage location to the SD Card in the camera app, it's in the camera app Settings menu.
    02-23-2019 10:25 AM
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have SD card formatted as internal storage instead of portable storage. But internal memory shows 75% utilization and SD card is like 5%. Will stuff start moving to SD card automatically as needed?

I'd still like to move photos (which I didn't move to folders) to PC periodically and get them off the phone entirely, any tips on that are appreciated!
    02-23-2019 10:26 AM
    Oh, that's why. Once you format the card as Internal Storage it becomes one with internal and is no longer a true external SD Card. Good luck, there are a lot of flaws with making a card Internal Storage. And you can never use that card in another device to view any files on it. I much prefer to leave them setup as External. Then you can move files to / from and view the contents on other devices
    Javier P likes this.
    02-23-2019 10:29 AM
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have SD card formatted as internal storage instead of portable storage. But internal memory shows 75% utilization and SD card is like 5%. Will stuff start moving to SD card automatically as needed?

I'd still like to move photos (which I didn't move to folders) to PC periodically and get them off the phone entirely, any tips on that are appreciated!
    When you format the SD card as internal/adoptable storage it doesn't show up as separated storage, all is internal. The system will apply some rules when deciding where new data will be saved, but you can't differentiate anymore what is where.
    02-23-2019 10:30 AM
    Oooops, Scott was quicker with the trigger, I was still typing when he posted.
    Scott337 likes this.
    02-23-2019 10:31 AM
    And I completely agree with him, always better formatting the card as external/portable storage. Adoptable storage comes with some limitations and risks, not worth taking in my opinion.
    Kodak2 likes this.
    02-23-2019 10:37 AM

Why not back them up to your Google Drive online storage, or back them up using the Google Photos app? Those are just a few options, but they will always be safe on Google storage and you can download to your PC when needed from there.

You should also be able to copy them from your internal storage Camera folder to your laptop, once you find the internal folder they are currently stored in. I just moved a few GB worth of pics from my wife's phone to her laptop last weekend.
    02-23-2019 11:15 AM
    Thanks everyone! I'll just see how it goes when internal memory fills up. This is kinda a temporary/budget phone for me, will probably replace it with something faster/better in a year or less (just hate the trend towards huge phones). On my next phone I'll not format it as internal memory and just move stuff as needed.

I do have everything backed up a Google Drive but I just like being able to cut/paste the actual files onto my PC.

So my next step is to figure out how to view the files on my PC. Now when I connect the phone it doesn't have any folders, but maybe I selected the wrong option in Windows. On my Moto X I remember the Camera photos being in a DCIM folder. That phone had no SD card and only 16G, so I periodically moved all the photos to my laptop. Don't really need to do that since SD card is 64G, I'm just thinking it may be making the phone slower.
    02-23-2019 12:03 PM
    They are still in a folder named DCIM
    02-23-2019 12:33 PM