All frequent calls disappeared

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
On both phones of my wife and mine, as of yesterday all of our frequent calls tiles have disappeared. Do you know what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Several Moto Z2 users have reported the same issue on the Moto Forum. Did you accidentally select the clear frequent list in the Phone app - three dot menu? If not, these must all be related somehow.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Hmmmm.... strange. I wonder why some folks have experienced this and others have not? The folks on the Moto Forum thought T Mobile was part of the equation. It doesn't seem likely, but who is your carrier?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Any recent phone updates, system updates, security patches, etc?

Maybe someone else here has some ideas but I'm stumped. Z2 Force users reported the same thing this week, but my Z2 Force displays a full Call History list. Very odd.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I can't remember the last time I've seen an update to the Phone / Dialer app. But it could have been another app update, something related to phone calls?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
It might be xfinity connect which is one of the apps updated yesterday. For those of you who are overseas out of the USA xfinity is Comcast the telecommunications company I have for cable TV and my ISP

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Xfininity apps wouldn't have anything to do with it unless they're very badly behaved (which I wouldn't put past Comcast). The recent calls list is kept in a database maintained by the Phone app, and no other app should be fooling with it, especially for writes (but not even for reads).

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
A few more people have chimed in on the Moto Forum. Z2 Play, Z2 Force and Moto G5 or G6. There has to be some common denominator that makes this affect some phones but not all. All three of my Z2 phones are not affected. Like another user mentioned, it seems like an app has a bad / misconfigured permission and instead of viewing recent calls it is accidentally deleting recent calls.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it could be similar to the issue that AT&T's Call Protect app caused on Samsung phones (preventing the caller ID from showing a contact's name, and only showing their number). Do people with the frequent contacts problem primarily have AT&T (which also includes Cricket)?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it could be similar to the issue that AT&T's Call Protect app caused on Samsung phones (preventing the caller ID from showing a contact's name, and only showing their number). Do people with the frequent contacts problem primarily have AT&T (which also includes Cricket)?

I have Cricket

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Several people on the Moto Forum have Verizon, and one is from India. So I'm not sure it's related to any carrier?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. It may also be worth checking if everyone who's affected has some kind of call filtering app (which is what Call Protect is). Many carriers have some kind of app like this these days.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For anyone affected, are you using the Google Contacts app vs the stock Contact app that comes on the phone?

Sandeep YS

May 10, 2019
Visit site
Several people on the Moto Forum have Verizon, and one is from India. So I'm not sure it's related to any carrier?
Its strange, The frequent contacts is being cleared daily. But yesterday it didnot clear, i had all the frequents available. yesterday i charged the phone till 70% and today it was 94%.
Could it be possible charging beyond a percentage is clearing the contacts.