All frequent calls disappeared

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
It's clearly not just a Moto issue as some are suggesting. People are saying that they have contacted Moto customer services and they're looking in to it but how does that help people on other handsets? From what I can tell it's affecting people on other phones and networks so there must be a common issue that's causing this.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
A user on the Moto Forum sent me a link to a One Plus forum / customer support area and the One Plus team said they were working on it also. So it obviously does affect more than just Moto phones. Hopefully between Moto, One Plus and Google someone can figure out a solution.

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Also it might be worth noting that my contacts didn't disappear yesterday but I was out all day so my phone wasn't on wifi. I know that some push services like those from Samsung or Google Play only force through background updates and backups etc when the device is connected to wifi. If they tried to push something through when my phone was on mobile data then this could explain why my contacts weren't wiped out yesterday.

My wife just told me that prior to this issue, about 2 weeks ago, Google forced through a Play Services update on her phone which caused her phone to become mad hot and become a little unstable for about 6 hours even after turning it off/on. Eventually it stopped being hot but the following day is when the contacts started deleting so maybe she's on to something.

Just another of my wild guesses. Sorry, I don't have any solid answers. Just trying to throw a few possibilities out there to see if they click with anyone.

Last edited:

umakantp

May 21, 2019
Visit site
I'm from India and I'm facing the same problem with my both moto g5 s plus. Every day in the morning I find my frequent caller list cleared (except stared ones). I do not have any custom dialer installed or any security app installed. This has suddenly started happening since last few days (I did not take any OS update around that time). My friend also reported similar problem with his moto phone.

cb900f2

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I have a Blackberry Motion running 8.1 and my wife has a Blackberry Dtek50 running 7 and we have the same issue... started like about 1.5 months ago.. and its killing me trying to find out why... And I spoke to another user with a BB keyone running 8.1 also and same issue....

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
My phone got a Google Play notification yesterday and I saw something which I've never seen before in all the years that I've had this phone.

A white Google Play triangle icon appeared in my phone's top left notification bar and remained there for about 7 minutes. When I clicked on the notification it didn't do anything and I wasn't able to hide it or swipe it away.

The notification said "Google Play is checking for system and security updates". It didn't specify if it was Google Play Store, Play Music, Books etc or Google Play Services but I suspect it was Google Play Services.

I have a feeling that it wasn't just checking but updating or patching something. I noticed last night that Google Play Services has access to my phone's call logs and contacts amongst many other things so maybe this update is something to do with our problem. Since the notification came through yesterday around 1pm my contacts haven't vanished since Sunday afternoon.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, my wife said that prior to her contacts disappearing she got a Google Play Services update which ragged her phone and caused it to go red hot and it was after that when the problems started so it looks like it could be a dodgy Google Services update that's the cause of all this. I don't wish to speak too soon but so far everything seems to be working fine. My battery usage has improved and my phone is now running a lot cooler and so far (touch wood) I still have all my contacts intact.

This isn't the first time that a Google Play Services update has caused me issues. A couple of years ago I had a dodgy update which made my phone so hot that it destroyed my battery and I had to buy a new one. It took several days to sort it out.

Hopefully anyone that hasn't has the patch/update yet will get it soon.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like the new Play Protect process. Sounds like it was doing a security check of all your installed apps.

Sandeep YS

May 10, 2019
Visit site
Updating a google contact cleared frequent contacted list. The phone was in the charging mode during this.
I selected a contact to modify from the frequent contacted list and updated the details of contact. Once saved all frequent contacted was cleared.

Christine90250

May 28, 2019
Visit site
I just signed up to this site to find out when a solution has been found. I realized today that my frequent calls vanished on my emerge. My carrier is Boost Mobile and not to happy. I was just getting used to phone

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Guess what? With all the daily updates to my apps whatever was breaking the frequent calls list must have been corrected because my list has not been cleared for two days.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Guess what? With all the daily updates to my apps whatever was breaking the frequent calls list must have been corrected because my list has not been cleared for two days.

I was too optimistic. I opened the phone this morning and all the recent calls were wiped out again. I wish this problem could be solved because I find it quite annoying to have to go search my contacts for the number to be called.

ArnieD

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Due to a change in Google's privacy policy, implemented on January 7, 2019, the favourites tab in the Phone app, and the shortcut menu, will consist of your favourite (star) marked contacts, together with frequently called contacts based on one day call history. This means that a previously frequent contact, but not within the latest day, will not be listed. If you want to keep some of the contacts in this list, make sure to mark a contact as favourite, to guarantee that this contact is always displayed in the favourites tab and in the shortcut menu.

cb900f2

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks ArnieD..

Is this info posted on Google somewhere?

Due to a change in Google's privacy policy, implemented on January 7, 2019, the favourites tab in the Phone app, and the shortcut menu, will consist of your favourite (star) marked contacts, together with frequently called contacts based on one day call history. This means that a previously frequent contact, but not within the latest day, will not be listed. If you want to keep some of the contacts in this list, make sure to mark a contact as favourite, to guarantee that this contact is always displayed in the favourites tab and in the shortcut menu.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
That doesn't explain why many people, me included, do not have the "disappearing" recent calls list. I have had my new phone for 10 days now and all calls appear in my Recent calls list. And the same on my previous phone, it showed months of Recent calls.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
That doesn't explain why many people, me included, do not have the "disappearing" recent calls list. I have had my new phone for 10 days now and all calls appear in my Recent calls list. And the same on my previous phone, it showed months of Recent calls.
Yes. Mine go back to February 2nd

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois