Downloaded pictures corrupted

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Frequently images I save into Download folder will either show blank thumbnails or I can open and view them but will have spin icon as if trying to finish loading them. Sometimes immediately are corrupt after download a few or maybe later in the day. Don't have issue with PDF files for example.

I look in Download folder and nothing is there.

Screenshots of the same online pictures, taken at the same time as download never have problem.

I have deleted, re-created the folder and have also done factory reset.

I don't have Download and Screenshots folders synced to cloud.

Using phone storage. Have not tried adding SD card. Not using custom rooms or rooting.

Moto G5 Plus
Andriod 8.1.0
64gb
30gb of free space

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where are you downloading the images from, and which app are you using to download them? What file format are they in?

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Any website. Chrome and Firefox.
I finally realized the issue and can reproduce it. It has something to do with the browsers not letting go of the file. I have firefox set to clear history on close and frequently cleared history back when I was using Chrome. The longer time frame between saving a picture and closing browser, the better chances it doesnt corrupt.

Since issue continues after this much time, I would need to try other roms / newer android. Dont plan on that soon but might someday when trying to extend life of my phone.

For now the workaround is to zip the files before closing browser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol