Phone crashing when I plug in the charger?

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto G5+ which is 3 years old in May. I have generally had no issues with it.

Within the past week, I've plugged in the charger when going to bed, only to notice during the night that my phone has frozen. A hard reset (power button down for about 5 seconds) is the only thing I can do. It froze at 11:30pm and I noticed at 4:30am. Not good when I need the alarm to ring.

Since then sometimes it's ok when charging and sometimes it crashes. I've noticed it will crash almost instantly. It's charging ok now so I suspect it will be fine this time.

Is this a sign the phone/battery might be getting old or could it be a software issue? I've read some people suggest clearing the Google app data. I've disabled this. I've done it in the past to kill the assistant as it annoys me.

Others have said to boot to safe mode and clear the cache of system UI. I don't know if I should try that or not.

Any suggestions would help please. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I've also just charged it to 100% and reset my phone. It now shows as 63%. I feel it's the battery as Scott said but I'll try wiping the cache.

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Ive wiped the system cache in case that helps and all my photos are backed up. Thats all thats important really. Ill try safe mode and ill just keep a general eye on it. Thank you all.