Moto G Plus 5th Gen is it worth it?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a phone for about what the G 5th Gen costs. I wish it were 5.5 inches in this case as I normally would not but I'm searching for something larger than 5.2 inches as I have a 5.2 inch device already. That said the specs on the G 5th Gen are definitely good and it makes it tempting to get it. Anyone who has it how does it feel in terms of build quality? Ate there any skins out there for it. Anyone notice any lag with this phone? Thanks for any help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've got the G5S+ model. Build quality is quite good for this price and it feels great on the hand. No idea about skins and cases, I don't use them and there are no many options where I live.

I'm not interested in Moto mods so I decided for the G instead of buying the Z2 Play. Performance wise they are very similar and battery life is about the same, which means great :) The SD625/626 are very efficient and the 3000 mAh battery is enough, even for heavy users.

If you are interested in Moto mods or have any already in your hands I'd recommend you to spend a little more and go for the Z2 Play.

bayern_tig

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got the G5S+ model. Build quality is quite good for this price and it feels great on the hand. No idea about skins and cases, I don't use them and there are no many options where I live.

I'm not interested in Moto mods so I decided for the G instead of buying the Z2 Play. Performance wise they are very similar and battery life is about the same, which means great :) The SD625/626 are very efficient and the 3000 mAh battery is enough, even for heavy users.

If you are interested in Moto mods or have any already in your hands I'd recommend you to spend a little more and go for the Z2 Play.

Not using a case for your phone? I'm planning to do the same but I'm worried about the protruding camera hump. Is the glass strong enough for day to day use and placement?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not using a case for your phone? I'm planning to do the same but I'm worried about the protruding camera hump. Is the glass strong enough for day to day use and placement?
I'm not a good example :) I've never used a case or screen protector on any of my phones, just a sunglasses pouch to avoid scratches.

The metallic ring around the camera glass is a bit higher, so it protects the glass when placed the on a flat surface.

bayern_tig

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Can you help me with one more thing?

Can you check and tell me the latest version of camera app, camera tuner app and the photo editor app?
It shows 31 August as the latest version for moto camera 2 (7.0.48.20) and for photo editor (1.4.45.4). Latest version of camera tuner for G5S plus was published on 28 august (1.15.8). When I see these apps seperately outside of playstore, it shows a more updated version on a later date (september).
can you tell me which versions of these are running on your phone?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if it has Shattershield, but if it does, you'd want a screen protector. The Shattershield is shatterproof since it's plastic, but it's very scratchable.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Can you help me with one more thing?

Can you check and tell me the latest version of camera app, camera tuner app and the photo editor app?
It shows 31 August as the latest version for moto camera 2 (7.0.48.20) and for photo editor (1.4.45.4). Latest version of camera tuner for G5S plus was published on 28 august (1.15.8). When I see these apps seperately outside of playstore, it shows a more updated version on a later date (september).
can you tell me which versions of these are running on your phone?
Same versions on my phone. I remember getting an update for these apps a couple of weeks ago.

bayern_tig

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
My power button is a little wobbly but works fine. Is it the same for you guys as well? Just want to know whether it's a defect on my phone or if that's how it is

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My power button is a little wobbly but works fine. Is it the same for you guys as well? Just want to know whether it's a defect on my phone or if that's how it is
Now that you mention it ... :) I tried and with the right angle and paying close attention I noticed it wobbles a little bit, but nothing important.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Javier. It's too bad. Maybe I should wait until the 6 phones come out. The 5, which is the only model that does have it, is over a year old or something. I feel like I'm going back in time lol. :D
Haha. Yeah, the G5 was the first Moto G to have a removable battery. I'm not sure about the G6 models, I haven't read anything saying that they will have it.

Anyway. The G5 models have a great battery life and the fast charger is great if you're in a hurry. I can't complain about mine (5S+) and I'm a heavy user. :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Haha. Yeah, the G5 was the first Moto G to have a removable battery. I'm not sure about the G6 models, I haven't read anything saying that they will have it.

Anyway. The G5 models have a great battery life and the fast charger is great if you're in a hurry. I can't commission about mine (5S+) and I'm a heavy user. :)
Do you know when the 6 will be due out? The battery drain on my g4+ is starting to get worse although it's not critical yet. I'm so tired of being forced to buy a new phone every two years (about how long the batteries last). My g4+ finally has gotten better from being really almost unusable from the phantom touch problem (the past two updates helped a lot) but I've not had a good impression of Motorola/Lenovo because of that, and planned not to buy another phone from them, but now they're providing all my favorite hardware features, except for slower processors and such.

Oh well, I've bought older phones several other times, either liking certain features or overall specs. And I'm on my phone as a computer everyday all day. So the battery is almost the most important feature for me. I do get confused with so many different models coming out. At least they did mostly fix my phantom touch issue. That reflects well on them. If only I could change the battery I'd be happy using this phone for another three years. :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea when they will release the G6 models. Some rumours here in Brazil talk about April-May, but nothing for sure.