G5S Plus First Impressions

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Got mine last Thursday (September 28, 2017), it took one week from the "pre-order" to delivery. I bought the 64GB/4GB version and paid $284.99 total plus state tax (how does the state really know that Lenovo in China is paying the tax back to the state?).

I'm replacing a Moto X Pure Edition from 2015 that was starting to run slow and doesn't have the Nougat that was promised and has the December 2016 security update, the last available for that phone.

As usual, it took about 2 days to get the G5S Plus set up the way I like it, get all the apps and logins transferred, my Blacklist Pro blacklist file, notification and ringtones, etc.

The G5S Plus weighs 167 grams compared to 177 grams for the Moto X PE, a slight and not-really-noticeable difference.

The G5S Plus is (slightly) noticeably thinner though at 8.09 mm vs. 10.7 mm for the Moto X PE.

Big difference in the feel though; my Moto X PE has the black hard rubber back, which gives good traction. The G5S Plus (gray) has a slippery aluminum back.

Why oh why are these manufacturers so focused on style and looks over function? It's a dang phone for cryin' out loud -- a tool, not a piece of jewelry.

I'm going to mask off the antennae and camera on the back and spray it with some clear traction material I've used before. I never buy a case for a phone, just on principal.

I can't get past buying a multi-hundred-dollar phone and then having to spring another 50 bucks for a case that makes it thicker. Design the phone so it's protected from the start without having to require a case!

Anyway, the G5S Plus is a good replacement for the Moto X PE, which was the top-of-the-line phone from Motorola 2 years ago. It runs slightly faster; enough to be noticeable when opening apps. the HTC U11 I bought and gave to my wife after 2 days doesn't run any faster that I can notice, despite having a much higher spec processor (and costing more than twice as much).

I don't use the fingerprint sensor (not secure enough for me) so I can't comment on that, although it just takes up valuable space on the front.

The screen measures 130 mm diagonal viewable size vs. 143 mm for the Moto X, which is a big (and kind of disappointing) difference.

Otherwise, the screen colors, brightness, quality, etc. seems the same to me.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the new notifications screen on the G5S Plus. You can no longer just wave your hand over the top and see the notifications, which is probably the biggest disappointment for me, as I really liked that feature on the Moto X.

In fact, I can't quite figure out how to get the notifications on the G5S Plus to work -- sometimes it shows when I pick up the phone, but disappears within a second or so, fast enough that I only get a quick glance at the notifications.

You have to touch the on/off button to see the notifications and that's just dumb. No-handed was much better.

Call quality is excellent, a touch better than the Moto X PE, so no problems to report there.

By the way, the on/off button and volume button are reversed from the Moto X PE, with the power button now on the bottom. Took me a couple of days to get used to that. Also, the power button has very small traction bars compared to the Moto X; I can't really feel them on the G5S Plus. The buttons feel solid though.

Overall, the build quality is excellent, especially compared to other phones I've seen costing a lot more -- like the HTC U11, which is a piece of junk as far as I'm concerned with its ridiculous all-glass build that looks, feels and is less solid.

Bottom line? You can spend more, as I've learned, but you don't get more phone than the G5S Plus, despite what anyone says. Spending more is foolish in my opinion. But hey -- opinions are like bung holes; everybody has one.

If you have any questions about the G5S Plus, let me know.

P.S. Also, battery life is excellent, I'd guess it lasts twice as long as my Moto X PE. I've been using the G5S Plus the same as I did the Moto X PE and the battery goes down only about 30% in one day, compared to using almost a full battery in the Moto X in one day. So I'm really happy about that, as I'd usually have to recharge the Moto X once or twice during the day.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Similar story here. I bought the G5S+ to replace my aging X Play. Very happy so far. I've never used a case and, as you said, I was a bit worried about the aluminium back. A bit slippery specially coming from a hard rubber back, but I got used quite quickly and I'm having no problem with one-handed use.

I use the FPS all the time, fast and accurate, and I enabled the one-button nav. It's excellent and you get some extra screen without the nav bar.

I didn't have the wave action to wake up the screen on the Play, so I don't really miss it and a soft nudge is enough to see the notifications.

Performance and battery are great, as you said, and the camera is a mixed bag. Good for normal use, slow for dual camera tricks, like depth. Still learning, but it can take pretty good photos.

work4crown

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I saw an app in the Play Store that supposedly adds the wave your hand notification thing. I'm not sure if it will work on this phone but maybe you could try it. It is called 'MotoDisplay Handwave'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sayantanrc.motodisplayhandwave&hl=en

Also, I saw there is a camera tuner app for the Moto G5S Plus called 'Camera tuner for Moto G (5S) Plus'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.imagertuning_sanders&hl=en

Maybe these apps could be useful to you.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That Camera Tuner app comes preinstalled in the phone, no need to download it, just keep it updated. I have already received two updates for the stock camera app and the Depth feature is much quicker now.

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I saw an app in the Play Store that supposedly adds the wave your hand notification thing. I'm not sure if it will work on this phone but maybe you could try it. It is called 'MotoDisplay Handwave'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sayantanrc.motodisplayhandwave&hl=en

Also, I saw there is a camera tuner app for the Moto G5S Plus called 'Camera tuner for Moto G (5S) Plus'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.imagertuning_sanders&hl=en

Wow, great tip, thanks! The hand wave app works great! Just what I was looking for.

thenrik

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my 64gb G5s Plus on the 29th as well as a 32gb I set up for a friend. I'm likewise upgrading from a Moto X PE, which still works quite well.I'm hoping this phone stays in the upgrade path, not abandoned like the Moto X PE.

It took several days to setup the two phones so I've just got around to switching the Sim cards after running SMS Backup & Restore. BTW, SMS Backup & Restore, free, will transfer call logs and sms from other manufacturors.

The setup process, copying from another phone, was fairly well done. Nova Launcher and a 200gb microsd gives the phone a similar look and feel to past phones and tablets.

Let's keep on making app suggestions and problem solving hints.

Best,

Tom

ramram55

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site

Be aware the handwave is a good one, with fingerprint sign in being disabled. That is no no for me.

Bob in NC

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
I got the Moto G5s Plus a couple of weeks ago and I'm crazy about it.

The larger screen (though essentially the same size phone as the G5 Plus) helps more than I expected when reading and watching videos.

The build quality approximates that of a $600 phone.

Battery life is as good or better than my old G5 Plus (which was still in the return window when I ordered the S Model).

The 7.1 Android experience is fast, fun, and flawless.

Yes, the camera lag is annoying but I do get great pics. Again, better IMHO than the G5 (which was/is a great phone).

I hope the camera lag will be fixed with updates but regardless, I am very happy with my 3 mg/32 mg G5S Plus for under $300 (got mine for $229 under pre-order).

Highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair