Apps using data - but I didn't install them!

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I was looking through my cellular data usage statistics this weekend, and noticed two apps that we're using data, but I didn't install either of them, and they weren't preinstalled, either. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Attachments

• 472.jpg
    472.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 20

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: Well don't waste time searching, how they were installed & proceed
to Uninstall them. In the majority of "Android phones" We delete
unwanted apps by open >>Settings lookup for Apps >>Find
the 2-Intruders and Tap on the [Uninstall] button
and Bingo! They will be history..

OoPs! forgot if you don't find the apps on the 1st screen - Look on the
Upper left corner, you'll see this "All apps" with a Down arrow-Tap
on it and the >>Moto G5S or G5S-Plus will display the rest
of the apps installed..Once spotted the apps apply
the delete procedure outlined above

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I’m an Android veteran and know all about disabling and installing undesired apps. The problem with these two is that they’re not IN the list of installed apps and are using data anyways. Anyone know what’s up with that, or whether they’re hidden within some other, less-obvious app?

jdesignz

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
LinkedIn? App is safe and not a big deal. When I got mine on day one it's already installed. Didn't bother to open or delete it. I just leave it there and enjoy my new phone.

Anyway, if you want to make sure your phone is safe from anonymous app installing make sure 'Unknown sources' is disabled under Settings-Security. Hth

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I’m an Android veteran and know all about disabling and installing undesired apps. The problem with these two is that they’re not IN the list of installed apps and are using data anyways. Anyone know what’s up with that, or whether they’re hidden within some other, less-obvious app?
As far as I know Prip is a Nextel app. Where did you buy your phone?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know Prip is a Nextel app. Where did you buy your phone?
I bought it at Best Buy (that is, not at a carrier store or anything like that). It’s just strange that they’re not in the “All Apps” list. I would’ve frozen them immediately (it’s the first thing I usually do when setting up a new phone).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought it at Best Buy (that is, not at a carrier store or anything like that). It’s just strange that they’re not in the “All Apps” list. I would’ve frozen them immediately (it’s the first thing I usually do when setting up a new phone).
Yeah, that's strange. I've read on different places that some models came with LinkedIn preinstalled, but nothing about Prip. Try this. Open the data usage screen for any of these apps and tap the name of the app. See if this way you can disable it.
IMG_20171206_110628.jpg

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's strange. I've read on different places that some models came with LinkedIn preinstalled, but nothing about Prip. Try this. Open the data usage screen for any of these apps and tap the name of the app. See if this way you can disable it.
View attachment 275223

I already disabled background data, but I can't figure out how to disable the apps entirely. I wonder if there are sharing hooks for these apps built into the OS image.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I already disabled background data, but I can't figure out how to disable the apps entirely. I wonder if there are sharing hooks for these apps built into the OS image.
I know. For most apps if you tap the name on the data usage screen you get the app manager screen where you can disable it. Maybe it's different for these apps, but worth a try anyway. Try with LinkedIn first.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I know. For most apps if you tap the name on the data usage screen you get the app manager screen where you can disable it. Maybe it's different for these apps, but worth a try anyway. Try with LinkedIn first.

Aha, that's it... sorry, I misunderstood the first time. I can't believe I've never learned that trick in all the years I've been using Android!

Unfortunately, for these two, I can only force-stop them. They're already listed as "disabled."

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Haha. No worries, it's not a very intuitive shortcut.

Strange that they are disabled and you can select force stop. These preinstalled apps can do funny things. Maybe you could try force stop - storage - clear data.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Aha, that's it... sorry, I misunderstood the first time. I can't believe I've never learned that trick in all the years I've been using Android!

Unfortunately, for these two, I can only force-stop them. They're already listed as "disabled."
Also, if they are disabled you should find them in settings - apps - tap 'all apps' - select 'disabled'.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, if they are disabled you should find them in settings - apps - tap 'all apps' - select 'disabled'.

I went to Settings->Apps->Disabled, and selected "Show system" from the menu at the upper-right, and still don't see them.

Then I went back into Settings->Data usage->Cellular data usage and followed the method you described above to enable them, then disable them again. NOW they finally show up in the disabled apps list. How weird is that?!?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I went to Settings->Apps->Disabled, and selected "Show system" from the menu at the upper-right, and still don't see them.

Then I went back into Settings->Data usage->Cellular data usage and followed the method you described above to enable them, then disable them again. NOW they finally show up in the disabled apps list. How weird is that?!?
Yeah, definitely weird, most likely caused because they were preinstalled and never set up. Who knows. I hope they stay now under control once you managed to disable them manually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad