Moto G6 will get Android 9 Pie

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That does not help much if you bought unlocked from XYZ.

The blog and update page seem to say something like "perhaps"

My G6 will be running on legacy PAYG T- Mobile for another month, then Google Fi, so Pie is far away for me, I think.

I will never understand the system update being up to the carrier, seems to be an antiquated model.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
According to Verizon my unlocked G6 will get Pie but only after all Verizon branded ones get it.

This was on a chat with them. I'll see.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I will never understand the system update being up to the carrier, seems to be an antiquated model.
Old thread, but for anyone wondering, the carrier has to put their individual modifications into each update, so it's up to the carrier to set a release date. Some get it to the "looks okay" point and release it (which is why we hear about bugs in updates), some will pull it even a few hours before it's scheduled to be released because they find a bug (I'm looking at you, TMobile, and that's a good thing - rather a day late than a function short).

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm running an unlocked G6, a US model. Still no Pie update, aside from the January 2019 security patch. Some users in other countries outside of North America have reported receiving the Pie update for the G6. I also bought a G6 Play as a backup, and that one doesn't have Pie, either. I think Lenovo's stiffing their US customers on updates... I do realize there may be some regulatory issues involved.

In any case, I have at least 1 1/2 years left before I consider an upgrade. My next phone may not be a Motorola.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a RETUS g6 and received this today: Looks like a "P" soak test....:cool:

TestDrive: Moto G6 Retail US March 2019 Reg

Hi

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network.

We are inviting owners of the Moto G6 Retail US to participate in an early preview of a new software release and provide feedback. If you are not currently using a Moto G6 Retail US please excuse and ignore this email.

We are moving quickly on this release, so please don't wait to respond.

Click the Begin Survey button at the bottom -- to take the enrollment survey if you wish to take part. This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners' Forums to be included. This is a confidential opportunity under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this on any public or private websites.

Start times can be fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.

Thanks!
Abigail
Motorola Owners’ Forums
Motorola Feedback Network

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781