Pie ruined my Moto G6, can anyone help?

Rico Braam

May 8, 2019
Visit site
I installed Pie yesterday morning(07-05-2019) and since then i'm not happy with it. The battery life seems like it's halved. Yesterday had to charge my phone during the day, that has never happened before. Overnight it went down 25% when idle, so i charged it again in the morning to 100%, that was around 3 hours ago. Now while typing my phone is at m 86% (phone has been idle in my pocket since i charged it till now) ,1 day and 3 hours left, and went to 85% ,1 day and 2 hours left,. Did'nt take more then 5 minutes.... (usage since last full charge: Chrome 6% and whatsapp 1%., thats it). Normally around this time the percentage should still be around 93-95%

Also when connecting (USB) to my radio, my phone recognizes the radio, it says it's connected but music is played trough my phone and not trough the speakers (radio is specially for android devices). Always worked perfectly before.

Hope this can be fixed ASAP

-edit 10 min later battery is at 84% and now only lasts a day...-

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something to keep in mind about a major OS update: a new kernel is usually packed with the OS. That essentially means that all the software needs to get familiar with the hardware all over again. It's kind of like turning on the phone for the first time all over again. Your batter wasn't great for the first few days, partially due to playing with it, and in part the kernel settling in. I'd give it a few days and see what happens.

As for the radio....perhaps a USB setting needs to be changed? If you plug it in, do you get a notification?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I installed Pie yesterday morning(07-05-2019) and since then i'm not happy with it. The battery life seems like it's halved. Yesterday had to charge my phone during the day, that has never happened before. Overnight it went down 25% when idle, so i charged it again in the morning to 100%, that was around 3 hours ago. Now while typing my phone is at m 86% (phone has been idle in my pocket since i charged it till now) ,1 day and 3 hours left, and went to 85% ,1 day and 2 hours left,. Did'nt take more then 5 minutes.... (usage since last full charge: Chrome 6% and whatsapp 1%., thats it). Normally around this time the percentage should still be around 93-95%

Also when connecting (USB) to my radio, my phone recognizes the radio, it says it's connected but music is played trough my phone and not trough the speakers (radio is specially for android devices). Always worked perfectly before.

Hope this can be fixed ASAP

-edit 10 min later battery is at 84% and now only lasts a day...-
Welcome to the forums. I agree with Golfdriver97, the new version will need a few days to settle in and it's normal the phone using more battery after a major update. Also, the new adaptive battery feature will learn your usage in the next days and improve your battery life.

If you have a week cell signal I'd recommend you to disable 'Enhanced 4G LTE mode' in settings - network & internet - mobile network - advanced. This feature can cause battery drain even when the phone is idle.

Rico Braam

May 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

About the battery sounds plausible, but giving it a few days is gonna be hard. It's bloody annoying that the USB function isn't working anymore as it supposed to. Even as developer (turned on) i changed the USB settings but it doesn't help. Phones with android 8 and below work just fine. But more annoying are the multiple freezes/reboots. Yesterday 7 times today already on 3 times... (and so much other little things that bug me about android 9 especially new gestures i.e. split screen)

I'll be downgrading my phone today or tomorrow back to android 8 and hope for a good working new android somewhere in the future.

-edit-
And with Pie i somehow can't acces my memory to save some apps to my SD card.It keeps giving a white screen for as long as i keep it on. So need to download a file managing app ..really great this new android.....

Last edited: