Moto G6 not charging in normal mode only in fastboot mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a weird situation where the phone is not charging in the normal mode which is either turned off or on but it does charge in fastboot mode and it only charges to about 70-75% and than it either stops or reboots itself and at that point it will start to slowly discharge since it's no longer in fastboot mode

Did anyone come across this situation ?
Is this a logic board related problem ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Moto g6 not charging in normal mode only in fastboot mode

I have a weird situation where the phone is not charging in the normal mode which is either turned off or on but it does charge in fastboot mode and it only charges to about 70-75% and than it either stops or reboots itself and at that point it will start to slowly discharge since it's no longer in fastboot mode

Did anyone come across this situation ?
Is this a logic board related problem ?
Hi, if you can register a account here , me or other members be happy to assist you.
I'll leave a link to register so you can communicate here.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds to me like a bad battery. Do you normally allow the charge to drop below 45%? That would do it. The lower you usually let it drop, the faster the battery goes bad. (Lithium batteries are not deep discharge batteries.)

status1

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
Hi
I just signed up
Thanks for the replies

To add a little more detail
This was a used phone that already had this problem so that was the reason I bought it so cheap
When I got it it was at 4% and the guy who was selling it was saying that he could not use it for more than a couple of minutes I imagine that was from a little reserve that was left because it was not showing any charging at the time I got it

So after a few days of research I cam across the trick about the fastboot mode which actually did charge it but only to about 70% but that's as far as I got
Of course I tried it in safe mode, factory reset and whatever anyone else suggested but nothing makes any difference except the fastboot

A few days later I got a new battery which came in at 15% charged
Are you suggesting that the new battery is already bad because it was below 45% ?

I understand that it's not good to let it go too low repeatedly because it will shorten the life of the battery but to say that because it's below 45% now the battery is bad and it no longer charges at all
I find that a little hard to believe
After installing it that also charged up to 70-75% but only in fastboot mode

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi
I just signed up
Thanks for the replies

To add a little more detail
This was a used phone that already had this problem so that was the reason I bought it so cheap
When I got it it was at 4% and the guy who was selling it was saying that he could not use it for more than a couple of minutes I imagine that was from a little reserve that was left because it was not showing any charging at the time I got it

So after a few days of research I cam across the trick about the fastboot mode which actually did charge it but only to about 70% but that's as far as I got
Of course I tried it in safe mode, factory reset and whatever anyone else suggested but nothing makes any difference except the fastboot

A few days later I got a new battery which came in at 15% charged
Are you suggesting that the new battery is already bad because it was below 45% ?

I understand that it's not good to let it go too low repeatedly because it will shorten the life of the battery but to say that because it's below 45% now the battery is bad and it no longer charges at all
I find that a little hard to believe
After installing it that also charged up to 70-75% but only in fastboot mode
Hi thanks for registering.
Have you tried different cable and charger?

status1

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
So the mystery continues
I bought another phone the exact same model xt1925-12 with a cracked screen but functional so I can swap out the logic board and see if that fixes the first phone

I received it 90% charged and I plugged in the charger that came with it and it was charging normally I also tried the chargers and cables from the first phone and they all worked with this second phone and was able to charge it to 100%

So than before doing the swap I just wanted to see how it works in fastboot mode and to my surprise for some reason it's not charging in fastboot mode so that's kind of strange
It's the opposite of the first phone

Is it possible that the fastboot charging turns off at a certain point ?
So let's say at 75% it no longer charges in fastboot mode ?
Because that would explain why I can only charge the first phone up to 75% and the second phone is not charging because it's at over 75%
I suppose I could let it discharge below 70% to see if it will start charging in fastboot mode