"Update failed" error Moto G7 Power Android 9

Jax Mac

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
My phone was a warranty replacement from T-Mobile (my carrier) and I noticed my phone had a update. Whenever I hit update it prompts me to connect to WiFi and plug it in. When I do it attempts to update and gives me the error "update failed". I don't know why it happens... Any solutions?

Macdtek

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I know its an oldie but just try powering it down / off. Then back on. Worked on the wife's e5 play. No need for the wipe.

Jax Mac

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, I have not been active but my phone still keeps prompting me to update but fails... No luck. I have been doing everything but nothing works!

Jax Mac

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
Ok, so I think I fixed it. I installed the Levono Motorola smart assistant on my computer and backed up my phone. Then I did the update from my computer instead of OTA.

Jax Mac

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
Ok, so after the update all google services just stopped on my phone. I restarted it and did everything else but nothing worked. I factory reset my phone after the update and everything was working with the new update still installed. Weird...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Updates can sometimes do that, presumably due to the coding or to some problem with the update process. With other phones, I would've suggested wiping the system cache partition, which can be helpful after a system update -- but Moto's more recent phones have dual A/B partitions for seamless updates (like Pixel phones), and this takes away the ability to clear the cache partition. So the only option in those situations is to factory reset.

Glad it's working after the reset, though!