06-23-2016 03:55 PM
27 12
tools
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=VmSdwmTP

Experience more in a snap
    Moto Style Shells are just one way to transform your mobile experience with Moto Z + Moto Mods™.

Beautifully designed backs
    Transform your phone to fit your style.

Tons of options
    Choose from a wide range of materials, textures, and fabrics.

Swap styles anytime
    Switch up the design of your phone whenever you want a new look.
    06-09-2016 02:37 PM
    I like this aspect of it. When they did it for the G I was hoping for some translation into the X line - because being able to change backs means more personalization than just being able to choose one, usually when rushed because trying to order can be a whole level of pressure of its own, and then being done with it.
    06-09-2016 03:45 PM
    I wish they had made them more curved to match the ergonomics of the Moto Xs.
    rutkind likes this.
    06-09-2016 04:20 PM
    I wish they had made them more curved to match the ergonomics of the Moto Xs.
    A third party could do that.
    06-09-2016 04:22 PM
    A third party could do that.
    That's a cool thing about releasing the specs into the wild - anyone can make anything.
    06-09-2016 06:02 PM
    I like that option to pick out different backs. Keeps it caseless and it just ruins the back cover with scratches.
    06-10-2016 01:30 AM
    That's a cool thing about releasing the specs into the wild - anyone can make anything.
    I wonder if anyone will. It was hard enough to find cases from big name case manufacturers for the MXPE. Spigen and Speck both passed up making cases for the MXPE.

Will any big names bother with this device?
    06-10-2016 01:35 AM
    I wonder if anyone will. It was hard enough to find cases from big name case manufacturers for the MXPE. Spigen and Speck both passed up making cases for the MXPE.

Will any big names bother with this device?
    IIRC, there are more accessories to be found for the DROID TURBO 2 than the Moto X Pure Edition. This is where having a carrier partner helps.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 01:38 AM
    IIRC, there are more accessories to be found for the DROID TURBO 2 than the Moto X Pure Edition. This is where having a carrier partner helps.
    That doesn't help if someone doesn't use Verizon.
    06-10-2016 01:44 AM

06-10-2016 01:45 AM
    That doesn't help if someone doesn't use Verizon.
    But physically, the Moto Z and Moto Z DROID EDITION are the same, thus Verizon asking accessories makers to make accessories for the DROIDs means Moto Z folks will have the same ones.
    Laura Knotek, Aquila and Bora777 like this.
    06-10-2016 01:47 AM
    But physically, the Moto Z and Moto Z DROID EDITION are the same, thus Verizon asking accessories makers to make accessories for the DROIDs means Moto Z folks will have the same ones.
    That's true. However, I doubt if there will be much interest in the device in the US after the exclusivity period has passed.
    06-10-2016 01:58 AM
    That red nylon looking one looks awesome.
    Ry and benjamminh like this.
    06-10-2016 08:48 AM
    Too bad the style shells don't have features like extra power, brighter flash, or something besides just being something nice to look at. Why not just a case so the corners are also protected? I think they look beautiful but not 100% sure of the benefit
    06-10-2016 10:40 PM
    Too bad the style shells don't have features like extra power, brighter flash, or something besides just being something nice to look at. Why not just a case so the corners are also protected? I think they look beautiful but not 100% sure of the benefit
    That can be made..

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-10-2016 10:41 PM
    These are just mods that have been made and tested from Motorola. I can see Incipio making a battery and case for it.
    06-10-2016 10:48 PM
    I like the idea of swappable shells and would probably get a couple if I do get a Moto Z, but it seems like a wasted opportunity to have not made one with wireless charging built-in. Sure, you've got the Incipio battery one but a basic slim one would be nice. I wouldn't be surprised if a third-party one crops up eventually.
    06-11-2016 08:37 PM
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/9/118...s-announcement

The company is supplying a single Style Shell Mod with each phone, which can be had in a variety of materials or finishes, such as nylon, wood, or leather.
    06-13-2016 10:39 AM
    The new Moto Z is a simpler take on the modular phone | The Verge

This is good, and the way it should be (and really, if they are keeping MotoMaker around, completely expected). However, if a style shell will be included with every phone, why did Moto go to so much trouble to point out how thin the phone is without the mods? If they expect everyone to use at least the style mod (as the Verge article claims), why is thinness of the base phone a talking point?

Sometimes I feel like they made the phone thin simply because they could, not because it was a good idea.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-2016 12:24 PM

This is good, and the way it should be (and really, if they are keeping MotoMaker around, completely expected). However, if a style shell will be included with every phone, why did Moto go to so much trouble to point out how thin the phone is without the mods? If they expect everyone to use at least the style mod (as the Verge article claims), why is thinness of the base phone a talking point?

Sometimes I feel like they made the phone thin simply because they could, not because it was a good idea.
    -If the style shell wasn't removable then the phone would be that much thicker when you snapped on a new mod.

-If the style shell has to be removable, why not polish the back of the device and let people use one without a style mod?

-If the back of the phone can be used without a style mod, why not advertise it as super thin?

I'd say its a combination of engineering and marketing.
    wonderbread and Bora777 like this.
    06-13-2016 12:32 PM

I think they feel that need to market the phone with the mod connectors exposed so people actually see them, as in they're a feature not a hidden feature.

06-13-2016 12:38 PM
    On the Erica Griffin video she showed that the leather shell didn't fit flush fwiw. Maybe they'll have time to adjust that.
    06-13-2016 04:42 PM

-If the style shell wasn't removable then the phone would be that much thicker when you snapped on a new mod.

-If the style shell has to be removable, why not polish the back of the device and let people use one without a style mod?

-If the back of the phone can be used without a style mod, why not advertise it as super thin?

I'd say its a combination of engineering and marketing.
    I think they feel that need to market the phone with the mod connectors exposed so people actually see them, as in they're a feature not a hidden feature.

I get all that, but it seems they would have been more effective by saying something along the lines of "With the basic style shell, which all phones will come with, the Moto Z is this thin. And see, you can pop off the shell for a phone that's even thinner." It's like advertising that a hamburger only has 300 calories with just meat and bun, and not noting the caloric count when you add in cheese, veggies, and sauces. You know, the things most people would add to their burger.

But then I'm not someone for whom the thickness of a phone really matters. Is it thinner than my OG HTC Evo? Yes? Awesome, check off that box. What else you got?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-14-2016 11:37 AM
    I get all that, but it seems they would have been more effective by saying something along the lines of "With the basic style shell, which all phones will come with, the Moto Z is this thin. And see, you can pop off the shell for a phone that's even thinner." It's like advertising that a hamburger only has 300 calories with just meat and bun, and not noting the caloric count when you add in cheese, veggies, and sauces. You know, the things most people would add to their burger.
    Never pursue a career in sales or marketing
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    06-14-2016 11:51 AM
    https://twitter.com/Moto_USA/status/741027483928166400

06-23-2016 03:46 PM
27 12