As an overall concept, I think the Moto Mods are an excellent execution of modularity. The simplicity of swapping Mods plus the ability for them to support some really powerful functions is very, very promising. One of the things that has the potential to enhance or detract from the concept, though, is being able to use Mods over the life of more than one phone. A $300 projector is hard to justify, but if you know you'll be able to use it on your next several phones over the course of 5+ years, that starts getting easier to justify.

I recall Lenovo stating that they would make the mods & future phones such that this could happen, but I find myself having trouble trusting that they'll really fulfill that promise in a meaningful way. I could see them making next year's phones compatible, but then changing the design. Since I tend to be on a 2 year replacement cycle, that would ruin any re-use.

Do you think they'll make the mods re-usable over several generations of phones? Do you think it matters? Do you think they might go back on their statement of making more compatible phones if sales of Mods are underwhelming?
    06-13-2016 01:54 PM
    It's hard to trust their promises and especially with the cost of the projector that would be frustrating in two years if it's not compatible with the current model.
    06-13-2016 01:57 PM
    The 2017 Moto Z is almost certainly in development today. I would expect the mods to work on the 2016 Z and 2017 Z at a minimum. After that who the heck knows.
    Ry likes this.
    06-13-2016 01:59 PM
    I think next year's mods and phones will work with this years. And that's about it. Also, I no longer trust Moto at all. I believe that they have good intentions for how this is going to work, but are they really committed to an indefinite period where all of their phones HAVE to be 5.5" and the exact same dimensions as the Z series? How could they be?
    Laura Knotek, YAYTech and Mike Dee like this.
    06-13-2016 02:00 PM
    They already announced that they will be compatible with next year's Z devices. Beyond that there are no guarantees (even working with next year's devices is a "soft" guarantee IMO).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-2016 02:02 PM
    My Droid Maxx says "no."
    06-13-2016 02:09 PM
    So does mine. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, ironically enough typed from my MXPE.
    Bslate09 likes this.
    06-13-2016 02:12 PM
    I fully expect next year's Moto Z to support the current mods.

Sales will determine anything beyond that.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-13-2016 02:50 PM
    I don't trust Lenovo with keeping around Moto devices in another 3 years time. I expect them to be out of the handset business.
    Bslate09 likes this.
    06-13-2016 04:24 PM
    It depends on how successful the Moto mods are this year. If I had to guess though it would not sell well and Motorola /Lenovo will discontinue it soon. (lapdock anyone?)

With that said it would probably support the next generation, but I would guess probably not beyond,mainly because the successor is probably already in the early design stages by the time the z is released.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-2016 07:47 PM
    My Droid Maxx says "no."
    Yeah....we got rooked on the Maxx updates.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-13-2016 08:25 PM
    It depends on how successful the Moto mods are this year. If I had to guess though it would not sell well and Motorola /Lenovo will discontinue it soon. (lapdock anyone?)

With that said it would probably support the next generation, but I would guess probably not beyond,mainly because the successor is probably already in the early design stages by the time the z is released.
    There will most likely be another variation releases around the 4th quarter. From a physical perspective it doesn't seem hard to keep the same platform for a few years, but only if there is demand for the modules.

06-13-2016 08:29 PM
    There will most likely be another variation releases around the 4th quarter. From a physical perspective it doesn't seem hard to keep the same platform for a few years, but only if there is demand for the modules.

There's still the lower spec'ed Moto Z Play.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-13-2016 09:04 PM
    It's interesting that all 3 G models are 5.5" too. It COULD mean an intention to bring modules to future G lineups.
    06-13-2016 09:53 PM