I got the speaker mod for free from Best Buy, don't know if I would have spent my on money on it because I have a decent Bluetooth speaker already.

The speaker does sound good and gets loud enough I can hear it with no problem when I'm in the shower.

But I'm here to talk about the battery in the mod. The speaker mod has its on battery, the notification bar let's you know how much battery it has. I wanted to see if the speaker mod would also charge the phone if it is connected. So I left the mod on the phone over night to see. No. The speaker mod does not charge they phone at all.

The speaker mod has a USB C connection on the back of it to charge while off of the phone. But once again I wanted to know if I could charge it while it is on the phone. So I plugged the phone in with the speaker mod attached to the phone. It charged both the phone and the speaker mod.

So
    1. The speaker mod will not charge the phone.
    2. The phone will charge the speaker mod.
    08-04-2016 02:50 PM
    I guess it makes sense that the battery is for the speaker itself and not for the phone. I mean, you have to power a speaker somehow. Either it has it's own battery, it has a cord, or it gets power from the phone - those are the only choices. At least it doesn't drain the phone battery (unless it does so after the mod battery is dead? Can't imagine I'll ever try to find out, lol). Good to know it can't be used as a charger/battery pack in a pinch.
    08-04-2016 02:59 PM
    I find the sound to be muffled when using it and holding the phone. It's because the sounds is coming from the back.

Are you experiencing that?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-04-2016 03:04 PM
    I find the sound to be muffled when using it and holding the phone. It's because the sounds is coming from the back.

Haven't used it while holding the phone, sounds like you need an old school boom box

But seriously have only used it signing down on something.
    08-04-2016 03:08 PM
    I guess it makes sense that the battery is for the speaker itself and not for the phone. I mean, you have to power a speaker somehow. Either it has it's own battery, it has a cord, or it gets power from the phone - those are the only choices. At least it doesn't drain the phone battery (unless it does so after the mod battery is dead? Can't imagine I'll ever try to find out, lol). Good to know it can't be used as a charger/battery pack in a pinch.
    Yeah just figured I would try it out to see and then pass on the info so everybody would know.

I wish it would have been a free battery mod instead, but I will use it.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    08-04-2016 03:09 PM
    Can I suggest one more test? Will the phone power the speaker if the speaker's battery is empty? I have one, but I'm not sure when I could get around to testing it.
    08-04-2016 03:44 PM
    Can I suggest one more test? Will the phone power the speaker if the speaker's battery is empty? I have one, but I'm not sure when I could get around to testing it.
    It's battery is full now LOL. I will try to let it run down but may take awhile.
    08-04-2016 03:49 PM
    Same (Best Buy deal) here...wouldn't have paid for it...and wish the offer would have been a batter mod. Good product though. And I think it does make sense that the battery was purely for the mod, so as not to drain anything from the phone's battery.
    bigpapa7272 likes this.
    08-04-2016 07:46 PM
    Same (Best Buy deal) here...wouldn't have paid for it...and wish the offer would have been a batter mod. Good product though. And I think it does make sense that the battery was purely for the mod, so as not to drain anything from the phone's battery.
    Yeah, I would've preferred the battery mod too. I suspect they know the battery mod is an easier sell, but the speaker is just fun enough to draw in extra phone buyers.
    bigpapa7272, knsnik and GodWeTrust like this.
    08-04-2016 08:34 PM

I mean that makes sense, as your hands would be covering half of the speakers.

The speaker mod was the only mod that peaked my interest, so when I went to BB for the $100 off I was pleasantly surprised to get the free speaker as well.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    08-04-2016 09:57 PM
    I used to cart around a little BT speaker in my bag. Speaker + charger + cable + bag. That's all gone now, replaced by this Mod. That works for me (especially since it was free). :-)
    08-05-2016 11:25 AM

The stand is also counter to the direction to the sound since the stand points it in downward angle. It sounds better pointed in upward angle, but the design results in a counterintuitive placement. The option to use the speaker mod remote from the phone would have been great.

Still nice mod.
    08-07-2016 12:31 AM
    I've tried for a couple of days to just leave the speaker mod attached to the phone. It makes the phone less slippery, but much heavier. But I love sound! Can't decide if I want to leave it on though because I want a bumper case for accidental drops, but just I can't see myself carrying the speaker mod if not attached to the phone. Hmmmm. What to do? What to do?
    08-07-2016 12:14 PM
    Props to you. No way I could leave that thing attached. As cool as it is it is way to big to carry around attached. Isnt it hard to make calls and text with it attached ? I don't know I don't have one.
    08-07-2016 12:38 PM
    I've tried for a couple of days to just leave the speaker mod attached to the phone. It makes the phone less slippery, but much heavier. But I love sound! Can't decide if I want to leave it on though because I want a bumper case for accidental drops, but just I can't see myself carrying the speaker mod if not attached to the phone. Hmmmm. What to do? What to do?
    The Verizon bumper case can be used with mods attached...
    GodWeTrust likes this.
    08-07-2016 07:11 PM
    Thanks for that.

Nah, it isn't too heavy to text. Now, if you are watching YouTube, you'll need a wrist brace. Lol
    08-07-2016 07:16 PM