07-18-2017 04:49 AM
181 ... 5678
tools
    It's early days but I'm astounded by the battery life of the Z.

Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I charged it to 100% and got 1hr30 SOT from around 25% usage and today I'm at 2hr52 with 49% remaining.

This is really impressive if it stays this way!
    mobrules likes this.
    09-16-2016 01:42 PM
    I even called Incipio and vzw tech support and couldn't get it answered. Can't believe someone
    hasn't tested yet. Would only take 2 minutes.
    I'm actually experiencing the same issue with an lg charger right now
    09-17-2016 12:40 AM
    It's early days but I'm astounded by the battery life of the Z.

Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I charged it to 100% and got 1hr30 SOT from around 25% usage and today I'm at 2hr52 with 49% remaining.

This is really impressive if it stays this way!
    Well I'm not even needing the battery mod so far, the 3 times I have checked my screen on time running the battery from 100% to close empty, I've had just over 4 hours the first two times, and last night 4 hours and 37 minutes screen on time with 24% battery life left. Screenshot here Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Amazing considering the resolution, size of the screen and thinness of the battery
    09-17-2016 01:00 AM
    There are a few threads about third party chargers, and in one of them, some folks have identified chargers that will charge the phone and the battery mod.
    09-17-2016 08:48 AM
    Zac pm me or post here the details and I can try to help you.
    09-17-2016 09:52 AM
    Anyone notice the battery mod will only charge from the supplied charger???? Meaning the 30W that came with the phone.

I switched today from the Tumi to the Incipio and was charging it the first time. It just sat there with a message saying waiting to charge. I had it plugged into a 2.0 charger that charged my phone just fine. I'm aware it doesn't turbo charge the phone but thought it would switch to charging the mod after the phone was at 100%.

Can a few test this please and let me know please???? I want to make sure its just not a bad mod.
    I noticed this and found out in either the manual with the mod, or phone (I forget) that you need the included charger to charge both at the same time, or alternatively with a different charger, the mod will charge if the phone is 100%. So I'm guessing if you don't have the included charger handy, charge your phone to 100% then attach the mod?
    09-17-2016 11:35 AM
    When you put on a battery mod, does that mean you can no longer have a case on this phone? Or any mod for that matter? I mean to protect the front of the phone. I guess the mod would act as a case for the back.
    09-17-2016 01:22 PM
    My moto z came with a bumper which allows me to change mods, so if you count that as a case, then sure. If you get one of the versions of the moto z without the bumper though, I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can buy bumpers?

As far as a case that covers the back and sides of your phone, I don't believe there is a case out there designed to work with the battery mod
    accordex#AC likes this.
    09-17-2016 01:38 PM
    I've seen some clear TPU cases on eBay which have cut outs for the pins.

I'd be very surprised if they work properly though...
    09-17-2016 03:10 PM
    I've seen some clear TPU cases on eBay which have cut outs for the pins.

I'd be very surprised if they work properly though...
    Yes I've seen a lot of cases with an opening for the pins, which is bizarre because the mods would not connect to the pins with a case in the middle. I guess it could be for aesthetic reasons? Exposing the pins makes it clear you have a moto z?
    09-17-2016 03:31 PM
    My moto z came with a bumper which allows me to change mods, so if you count that as a case, then sure. If you get one of the versions of the moto z without the bumper though, I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can buy bumpers?

As far as a case that covers the back and sides of your phone, I don't believe there is a case out there designed to work with the battery mod
    Which Moto Z?
    09-17-2016 03:41 PM
    Which Moto Z?
    I think what you get with your Moto Z depends on which country you buy from. I bought my standard Moto Z from Clove, a UK online store, as it's not available in Australia yet. Instead of a wood grain style shell like I saw in all the USA Moto Z Droid unboxings, I received a black nylon style shell, plus a plastic bumper.
    09-17-2016 03:59 PM
    I bought my Z from Lenovo direct here in the UK. The bumper case was in the box with the phone.

I guess some TPU case manufacturers have the spec and dimensions of the phone and leave the ports / connections open and assume the work. As I said, I'll be staying away unless I get one for mod free use which is a possibility since the battery is performing better than I imagined it would.
    09-18-2016 03:09 AM
    I also got the black nylon style cover.
    09-18-2016 03:09 AM
    While I enjoy the added battery life from the mod the weight is starting to get to me. I took the mod off to show someone how it works and the difference was so stark I left the mod off for a bit.
    Why would you leave it on? When I use the mod and it has become depleted I take it off and wait until I can recharge it on the phone. I do wish that there was a way to charge the Tumi (non wireless charging) off the phone.
    09-18-2016 12:01 PM
    Im considering returning my battery mod. I have the regular Z and Im not sure if the capacity is correct. For instance my phone was at 41% and I put my full charged mode on. The phone is at 57% with the mod all the way down too 56%. I don't know the math but it seems a bit much for me. I really like the idea of it and want it too work as I see it being very helpful but need it too work at full capacity.
    09-22-2016 04:26 PM
    Im considering returning my battery mod. I have the regular Z and Im not sure if the capacity is correct. For instance my phone was at 41% and I put my full charged mode on. The phone is at 57% with the mod all the way down too 56%. I don't know the math but it seems a bit much for me. I really like the idea of it and want it too work as I see it being very helpful but need it too work at full capacity.
    It depends on a few things. Are you using the phone while the battery mod is charging, or is that with the phone in standby mode, without use? Also, external battery packs do not charge a battery with 100% efficiency. I don't know about the battery mod, but often external batteries have to do some voltage conversions. This results in roughly a 1/2 to 2/3 efficiency as far as charging a battery. An example assuming this is true for the battery mod:

Battery mod says its capacity is 2200 mAH. Moto Z battery is 2600 mAH, and its battery is depleted when the fully charged battery mod is attached.

(2200 mAH)*(2/3) = 1467 mAH charged in the Moto Z, so the Moto Z will be charged to about 56%. If you are using the mod during this, it will be lower.
    09-22-2016 04:57 PM
    No use during those numbers provided. As of right now with the answering of about 5 text the phone is up too 77% with the mod at 11%.
    09-22-2016 05:13 PM
    I would charge them both to 100% and then experiment from there.
    09-22-2016 05:28 PM
    I have to agree with Ben here.
    I would charge them both to 100% and then experiment from there.
    09-22-2016 06:50 PM
    Ok I did a test last night. Moto Z at 21% and fully charged Moto Mod. Put the phone in airplane mode over night and let the mod do its thing. Woke up this morning too the mod at Zero and the phone only at 80%. The mod is 85% capacity too the phones internal battery and I believe it should have fully charged the phone and very little too spare on the mod or at least within a couple %. Please let me know if Im thinking of this wrong.
    09-23-2016 08:58 AM
    You're thinking about this wrong. First, even in airplane mode you will lose some battery overnight. More importantly, an external battery pack, which the mod basically is, is only about 70% efficient in charging an internal battery. Plus the external battery is smaller than the internal one. Given all that, I think it did pretty well unless I'm missing something.
    09-23-2016 10:31 AM
    Just to say the battery is proving consistent. Today right now I'm at 41% battery with 3 hours 3 minutes SOT.

I think I'll give the battery pack a miss for now.
    09-23-2016 01:20 PM
    Ok I did a test last night. Moto Z at 21% and fully charged Moto Mod. Put the phone in airplane mode over night and let the mod do its thing. Woke up this morning too the mod at Zero and the phone only at 80%. The mod is 85% capacity too the phones internal battery and I believe it should have fully charged the phone and very little too spare on the mod or at least within a couple %. Please let me know if Im thinking of this wrong.
    Charge both to 100%. Then attach the mod. First set the mod in efficiency mode. It will keep your phone at 80% until the mod battery is depleted.
    Then I would charge both again and put the mod on but not in efficiency mode. See how long that keeps your phone at 100%.

There are a lot of things that can drain a battery and if you already know this just ignore the rest of this post.
    Install Gsam Battery Monitor. Just start it and let it run. The main Gsam screen gives a lot of good information but at the bottom is an icon that looks like a vacuum cleaner. Touch that and it will show you for a charge cycle what apps are using battery and how much.

I would also install Signal Check Lite. This will measure your 4g signal strength.

Apps running in the background and 4g signal strength can really use a lot of battery. Try these and see if it gives you better information.
    09-23-2016 02:48 PM
    Hello.

I've only had the Incipio battery mod for a few days and so far only ever charged it with the Motorola charger supplied with the phone. Today the battery mod and phone got really low (mod 0%, phone 15%). I powered off the phone and charged it with my old Nexus 6 charger. It charged to 100% but I could not see the mod charging. Powered the phone on, it gave the same "waiting to charge Moto Mod" message some of you have noticed. I decided to search around the net and found this thread. I tried unplugging the charger, the mod and everything like that but had no luck. Ultimately, while reading around various different posts for about 30 minutes, I checked my phone again and the mod was charging and at 14%. So I think the biggest thing is just waiting. When the mod gets to 0%, it takes up to 30 minutes to actually START charging.
    I hope this helps someone else who is freaking out.
    As for how I like the mod, I'm loving it. While at home and on wifi I got 50+ hours with medium use. Going back and forth to work with crappy 4G/3G on Wind mobile in downtown Toronto with very bad reception in my building I still got about 30 hours with medium to heavy use.
    mobrules likes this.
    10-26-2016 02:34 PM
181 ... 5678