Battery mod

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have never had a phone that the battery quit. Ownership has run from months to 3 years without the battery dying. I will not stay up worrying about the battery mod shortening the life.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Any concerns that using the battery mods will ultimately decrease your internal battery's life? Continuous charge/discharge cycles is what kills batteries. By having the mod on there, you are literally always charging and discharging. Even if your phone is at 100%, its trickle charging.

Hmmmm....that's something to think about!

Posted via the Android Central App

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Battery lifespan is measure in full charge cycles. So weather you keep the phone at 80% all day or let it get low and charge it up it shouldn't be any different.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice the battery mod will only charge from the supplied charger???? Meaning the 30W that came with the phone.

I switched today from the Tumi to the Incipio and was charging it the first time. It just sat there with a message saying waiting to charge. I had it plugged into a 2.0 charger that charged my phone just fine. I'm aware it doesn't turbo charge the phone but thought it would switch to charging the mod after the phone was at 100%.

Can a few test this please and let me know please???? I want to make sure its just not a bad mod.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone notice the battery mod will only charge from the supplied charger???? Meaning the 30W that came with the phone.

I switched today from the Tumi to the Incipio and was charging it the first time. It just sat there with a message saying waiting to charge. I had it plugged into a 2.0 charger that charged my phone just fine. I'm aware it doesn't turbo charge the phone but thought it would switch to charging the mod after the phone was at 100%.

Can a few test this please and let me know please???? I want to make sure its just not a bad mod.

Hmmm... Interesting if true. This would not be good.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm really hoping someone can test this for me. I want to exchange tomorrow if this is the case.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
While I enjoy the added battery life from the mod the weight is starting to get to me. I took the mod off to show someone how it works and the difference was so stark I left the mod off for a bit.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity what are the reasons why you guys got the battery mod? I am almost already near a plug but figured most people don't have USB c so there would be no one to virtue a cable from. That was my justification fit the mod.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity what are the reasons why you guys got the battery mod? I am almost already near a plug but figured most people don't have USB c so there would be no one to virtue a cable from. That was my justification fit the mod.

I'm having the same dilemma in terms of whether to keep the battery mod on. It is pretty heavy. I may use it for days when I know I'm not going to be near a plug, such as when I'm traveling. I'm not sure there's a point to keeping it on other days since the Z Force without a mod lasts me well beyond a day. Still, it's nice to have the option of the battery mod for when I might need it.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't travel often. And when I do I am used to bringing a battery pack and cable. Plus the turbo charger is awesome. The last few days I haven't even gotten through the mod before bed. Yesterday was my first long day. 6:15am to about 9:30pm. And I was at 78% on the phone. So that's 20% used on the phone, then the entire mod, then 2% on the phone. With a fair bit of usage. And that's my longest day. Not sure it's worth $100 if I don't really need it

If my math is right I used roughly 2970mah yesterday. So I'd have about 15% battery when I went to bed (if I didn't have the mod). To me after a 15 hour day with a moderate to heavy usage id say that's acceptable

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't travel often. And when I do I am used to bringing a battery pack and cable. Plus the turbo charger is awesome. The last few days I haven't even gotten through the mod before bed. Yesterday was my first long day. 6:15am to about 9:30pm. And I was at 78% on the phone. So that's 20% used on the phone, then the entire mod, then 2% on the phone. With a fair bit of usage. And that's my longest day. Not sure it's worth $100 if I don't really need it

If my math is right I used roughly 2970mah yesterday. So I'd have about 15% battery when I went to bed (if I didn't have the mod). To me after a 15 hour day with a moderate to heavy usage id say that's acceptable

I guess if you don't mind carrying a battery pack on certain long days, then you have no use for the battery mod. I hate carrying a second device (the external battery) and another cord. When I charge the phone from a battery pack, I have the phone connected to the external battery and it's unwieldy if I'm trying to walk around or be on the move. For me, the mod is perfect for such days.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess if you don't mind carrying a battery pack on certain long days, then you have no use for the battery mod. I hate carrying a second device (the external battery) and another cord. When I charge the phone from a battery pack, I have the phone connected to the external battery and it's unwieldy if I'm trying to walk around or be on the move. For me, the mod is perfect for such days.
While it's annoying to carry 2 devices I don't know that I travel enough to justify the cost. When I travel for conferences (very rare) I have my charger and battery pack as a backup. There are typically outlets and with turbo charging I'm no worse for wear after 20 minutes.

When I travel with my family there will be a diaper bag that I already have to carry. Dropping the battery pack in is no biggie.

I think i wanted to get the battery because one of the selling points of this phone is the mods. But in reality I don't need it. The shatterproof screen was what I really wanted. And the other specs of course.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Bumping this hoping someone will test on their mod for me please.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
While it's annoying to carry 2 devices I don't know that I travel enough to justify the cost. When I travel for conferences (very rare) I have my charger and battery pack as a backup. There are typically outlets and with turbo charging I'm no worse for wear after 20 minutes.

When I travel with my family there will be a diaper bag that I already have to carry. Dropping the battery pack in is no biggie.

I think i wanted to get the battery because one of the selling points of this phone is the mods. But in reality I don't need it. The shatterproof screen was what I really wanted. And the other specs of course.

These are all great points. Other than 10-12 days per year, I'm in the same boat. I'll probably just use a style back and switch to the battery mod for those rare days I'll be away from a charger. This phone is a beast even without the mods!

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Battery lifespan is measure in full charge cycles. So weather you keep the phone at 80% all day or let it get low and charge it up it shouldn't be any different.

This is also what I had heard but always had a nagging thought. Say I only charge my battery from 40% to 80% and never outside of that range. Since that's not a full charge cycle, does that mean it will last indefinitely? Or is it for ever 2.5 charges (40% * 2.5 = 100%), it counts as one charge cycle?

Google doesn't have a definitive answer but the short bursts of charging seems to prolong battery life versus deep depth of discharges. In any event, I like your answer and may just go get one.

I have never had a phone that the battery quit. Ownership has run from months to 3 years without the battery dying. I will not stay up worrying about the battery mod shortening the life.

I've never had a battery outright die BUT I've had battery start to lose capacity. My Note 4's battery was down quite a bit after a year.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Bueller....Bueller....Bueller.....

Really no one so far?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12