Battery mod

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Bit the bullet and ordered the Incipio from Moto ($20 cheaper than everywhere else). Shipping from China -- yeesh. Gonna take a while.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Z and have held off on the battery mod for now. Time will tell how I get on with the 2600 mAh...

I'm actually hoping for a smaller (say 1000 mAh) battery mod which more resembles the style mods and keeps the phone slim. 3600 mAh is enough for a really busy day.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Z and have held off on the battery mod for now. Time will tell how I get on with the 2600 mAh...

I'm actually hoping for a smaller (say 1000 mAh) battery mod which more resembles the style mods and keeps the phone slim. 3600 mAh is enough for a really busy day.

I believe that would be a very popular mod.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I would buy one. I bought the Incipio, used it twice so far.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I don't really want the Incipio. I thinks it's ugly and too large as it doubles the size of the Z.

Like I said, I hope a thinner battery mod is released even if it is 1000 mAh.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I think the incipio battery mod looks fine, and i love the soft texture of it.

I think the thickness is fine, the weight though is too heavy. Despite this it's still handy to be able to stick it on the back if you need a few extra hours of battery life till you can reach a charger (without being tethered to a battery pack)

I agree on the idea of a smaller 1000mah battery mod. I'm getting used of how light the Moto Z is, but it almost feels too light, like I could easily drop it because there is no weight holding it in my hand. That could be just a placebo affect, I haven't dropped it yet!

Having a 1000mah battery pack might be that perfect balance of weight, not too heavy, not too light, whilst giving you a little extra juice. I'm actually finding without a battery mod I consistently get 4 hours SOT, which is decent battery life for me without a mod. So I wouldn't be phased at all if the mod only adds say 1 extra hour SOT. If the weight was good, I may keep it permanently on my phone. Even better make a 1000mah battery pack, which wraps around the sides of your phone as well, like a case.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It's early days but I'm astounded by the battery life of the Z.

Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I charged it to 100% and got 1hr30 SOT from around 25% usage and today I'm at 2hr52 with 49% remaining.

This is really impressive if it stays this way!

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
It's early days but I'm astounded by the battery life of the Z.

Yesterday was my first day with the phone. I charged it to 100% and got 1hr30 SOT from around 25% usage and today I'm at 2hr52 with 49% remaining.

This is really impressive if it stays this way!

Well I'm not even needing the battery mod so far, the 3 times I have checked my screen on time running the battery from 100% to close empty, I've had just over 4 hours the first two times, and last night 4 hours and 37 minutes screen on time with 24% battery life left. Screenshot here Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Amazing considering the resolution, size of the screen and thinness of the battery

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Anyone notice the battery mod will only charge from the supplied charger???? Meaning the 30W that came with the phone.

I switched today from the Tumi to the Incipio and was charging it the first time. It just sat there with a message saying waiting to charge. I had it plugged into a 2.0 charger that charged my phone just fine. I'm aware it doesn't turbo charge the phone but thought it would switch to charging the mod after the phone was at 100%.

Can a few test this please and let me know please???? I want to make sure its just not a bad mod.

I noticed this and found out in either the manual with the mod, or phone (I forget) that you need the included charger to charge both at the same time, or alternatively with a different charger, the mod will charge if the phone is 100%. So I'm guessing if you don't have the included charger handy, charge your phone to 100% then attach the mod?

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
When you put on a battery mod, does that mean you can no longer have a case on this phone? Or any mod for that matter? I mean to protect the front of the phone. I guess the mod would act as a case for the back.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
My moto z came with a bumper which allows me to change mods, so if you count that as a case, then sure. If you get one of the versions of the moto z without the bumper though, I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can buy bumpers?

As far as a case that covers the back and sides of your phone, I don't believe there is a case out there designed to work with the battery mod

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I've seen some clear TPU cases on eBay which have cut outs for the pins.

I'd be very surprised if they work properly though...

Yes I've seen a lot of cases with an opening for the pins, which is bizarre because the mods would not connect to the pins with a case in the middle. I guess it could be for aesthetic reasons? Exposing the pins makes it clear you have a moto z?