12-02-2016 01:25 AM
61 123
tools
    Thanks. I'm not a fan of the wood back either. Good to know the nylon is a good alternative.
    08-26-2016 09:45 AM
    Just got in the black leather back. I like the fit of the Moto ones much better than the blue Incipio I have. The Incipio is too thick.

I like it. I really would like some soft touch color backs like the material on the Moto X's.
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-31-2016 09:31 AM
    After reading through this, I ordered my black leather back this morning. I'm not a big fan of the included wood either.

This was the "commitment" purchase I needed to take ownership of the Z Force. I got this phone to try while the Note 7 saga continues to unfold. I really like how smooth it operates and I'm looking forward to seeing what mods are yet to come.

I won't be going back to the Note 7. I didn't think I could get by without the Spen, but now that I've had this device for a few days, I haven't really missed it.
    09-16-2016 06:12 AM
    I never cared for the fake wood at all. In fact I never even put it on my Force. I wrapped it in 3m before I used it. I agree. Someone said we need options. I'm thinking 50/50 whether we will see much more than we have to choose from now. Moto needs to have a dedicated Moto maker specifically for us to create our own shell from texture, color and possibly custom word or two at the bottom. I don't see that happening but I'd already have ordered several if they would build it for me. Lately I just have been keeping my Incipio gunmetal color shell on mine. It flows pretty good. I ordered a silver carbon fiber kit from skinomi that appears to go on the shell and on the outer edge of the device. Then once my Dbrand comes in for the front my Force will truly Awaken lol. Funny.
    09-16-2016 08:35 AM
    Could someone provide a link to the leather back I'm not finding it.

Thanks
    09-16-2016 10:11 AM
    Just got in the black leather back. I like the fit of the Moto ones much better than the blue Incipio I have. The Incipio is too thick.

I like it. I really would like some soft touch color backs like the material on the Moto X's.
    I keep eyeballing the gold Incipio, but have held off based on thickness and slickness. Wish I could order the Moto backs and not wonder if they'll take a month to arrive...

I never cared for the fake wood at all. In fact I never even put it on my Force. I wrapped it in 3m before I used it. I agree. Someone said we need options. I'm thinking 50/50 whether we will see much more than we have to choose from now. Moto needs to have a dedicated Moto maker specifically for us to create our own shell from texture, color and possibly custom word or two at the bottom. I don't see that happening but I'd already have ordered several if they would build it for me. Lately I just have been keeping my Incipio gunmetal color shell on mine. It flows pretty good. I ordered a silver carbon fiber kit from skinomi that appears to go on the shell and on the outer edge of the device. Then once my Dbrand comes in for the front my Force will truly Awaken lol. Funny.
    Shoot, it wouldn't be that hard to offer full color custom printed designs, like the Google Photos Live Cases for Nexus devices.
    09-16-2016 10:16 AM
    I keep eyeballing the gold Incipio, but have held off based on thickness and slickness. Wish I could order the Moto backs and not wonder if they'll take a month to arrive...
    I ordered mine this morning after reading here it was taking about a week to get the back. My has an estimated delivery date of Sept 29th. So, 10 days for me and that includes two weekends. I'd say, not too bad.
    YAYTech likes this.
    09-16-2016 10:40 AM
    Could someone provide a link to the leather back I'm not finding it.

Thanks
    Moto Style Shell - Moto Mods™ | Motorola

just placed my order
    Connert likes this.
    09-17-2016 02:55 PM

Thank you.
    09-17-2016 11:47 PM
    Now that I have the leather back on the way, I'm wondering how I might change the "wood" back that came with the phone. I don't think I'd do very well with the wrap material and doubt it would come out very well. I have thought about trying a rubberized paint though. Anyone else have any other ideas? Moto leather back is sweet-1474199912012.jpg
    09-18-2016 06:58 AM
    I don't know what the backs are made of, so this may a very dumb idea - rough it up with a fine sand paper or wet/dry paper to add some grip - good chance it will ruin the looks though.
    09-18-2016 07:05 AM
    It seems to be some type of plastic, I agree that a little sanding would be necessary.

I'm replacing the standard back with the leather one as soon as I receive it (est 29th). So if the painting doesn't work out, I don't really care, it will spend the next few years in a drawer with all the other misfit accessories from past devices otherwise (man I need to clean out that drawer).

This rubberized paint is just one idea, it may be too thick for this. I'm going to be on the lookout for other types of paint that might work also. I just figured with the premium back on the way, I might try something different with this one, it will never get used otherwise.
    09-18-2016 07:33 AM
    I just figured with the premium back on the way, I might try something different with this one, it will never get used otherwise.
    My thoughts exactly - God Bless the "stuff-I'll-never-use" drawer.
    Connert likes this.
    09-18-2016 07:43 AM
    I am very happy with the nylon mod from Moto. I just received it the other day. I ordered both the black and the red and am currently sporting the red one. It is more of a maroon in my opinion and I like how it looks and feels. The lighting in the pics doesn't do it justice.
    Attachment 237231Attachment 237232
    Do you have a link for that?
    09-21-2016 10:37 AM
    Another
    09-21-2016 10:37 AM
    Here you go. Moto Style Shell - Moto Mods™ | Motorola
    skatergirl and eric6491 like this.
    09-21-2016 12:58 PM
    I placed my order for the leather back on September 8th. I received a confirmation e-mail but since then my order status hasn't changed. I've contacted Moto and they say they are escalating the issue to Moto Maker. Has anybody ordered their back more recently than the 8th and if so, are you receiving ETA's or seeting any type of movement on the order?
    09-21-2016 01:59 PM
    I have the leather style back ordered and is has and est delivery date of Monday the 26th. Ordered on Friday the 16th. I noticed today all the backs on Motorola's web site are out of stock. Status on my order is at the "device being built" step, been there since the 16th.
    09-21-2016 05:39 PM
    After ordering the leather back I decided I needed to modify the original "wood" back that came with my phone. After seeing how Dconn1975 wrapped his battery mod (turned out very nice), I decided to come up with a few options for the original wood back. Having zero experience with 3m wrap I decided that would not be a good option for me and if the paint doesn't work out its going in the trash anyway. So I found some bedliner paint I had left over from another project and decided to give it a try. It probably took all of 15/20 minutes for prep time and about 30 seconds to paint. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry completely so I can install. Here are a few photos of the outcome so far. Moto leather back is sweet-1474498277737.jpgMoto leather back is sweet-1474498288044.jpgMoto leather back is sweet-1474498294087.jpg
    09-21-2016 05:51 PM
    After ordering the leather back I decided I needed to modify the original "wood" back that came with my phone. After seeing how Dconn1975 wrapped his battery mod (turned out very nice), I decided to come up with a few options for the original wood back. Having zero experience with 3m wrap I decided that would not be a good option for me and if the paint doesn't work out its going in the trash anyway. So I found some bedliner paint I had left over from another project and decided to give it a try. It probably took all of 15/20 minutes for prep time and about 30 seconds to paint. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry completely so I can install. Here are a few photos of the outcome so far.
    Looks very "grippy"
    09-21-2016 06:23 PM
    Looks very "grippy"
    I hope so. I'm being very patient right now and letting is dry completely. Maybe even a little over kill. My biggest concern is it will scratch or peel easily. I scuffed it up with a fairly rough sandpaper (I figured I could get away with due to the amount of texture in the paint) cleaned it good with alcohol and then painted. I'll post photos of it on the phone in a bit.
    anon(9227267) likes this.
    09-21-2016 06:35 PM
    So I couldn't wait any longer to see how it looks on the phone. I'm really liking it, now if it's durable I'll be all set. If not, hopefully the leather back will be her on time Monday. Moto leather back is sweet-1474501595369.jpgMoto leather back is sweet-1474501601647.jpg
    09-21-2016 06:46 PM
    Looks very "grippy"
    So I'm half way through the day and this is definitely "grippy", matter of fact it's probably closer to "tacky". It's not picking up lint or anything but if I'd tried this before I ordered the leather back, I might not have ordered it.
    09-22-2016 11:36 AM
    So I'm half way through the day and this is definitely "grippy", matter of fact it's probably closer to "tacky". It's not picking up lint or anything but if I'd tried this before I ordered the leather back, I might not have ordered it.
    Very cool! I did my whole truck in bedline, and only part that is wearing is the bed where I've drug stuff and scratched it off. I think youll be happy with it.
    Connert likes this.
    09-22-2016 02:12 PM
    Great now I have to go to the auto parts store and pick up a can of bed spray. See what you did. Thanks. Haha.

I have the leather back from Moto on my phone now. But I do switch and put the wood back on if I'm working or doing something where I don't want to mess up the leather. I really don't like the wood so this will be a perfect fox for me!

Thanks!
    Connert likes this.
    09-22-2016 02:33 PM
61 123