Xenon flash

Flash modes
Auto, on, off

Image stabilization
Still: OIS Video: EIS

ISO equivalent
Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

Capture modes
Photo, panorama, video, professional, night landscape, night portrait, sports, day landscape, back light portrait

Focus modes
Manual focus: select focus ROI Focus lock

Pro mode
Focus, white balance, f-stop, ISO, exposure

White balance
Auto, incandescent, fluorescent, sunny, shade

Color effects
Color, black & white

Red eye reduction
Auto

File format
Still: JPG, DNG (RAW) Video: MPEG4

Storage
Internal phone: 32GB-64GB microSD phone: up to 2TB Cloud: Unlimited via Google Photos

Battery life
Phone dependent

Connectivity
Phone connectivity: 4G/LTE, Wi-Fi

GPS
Phone: Enhanced geolocation

Carrying case
Included

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Picture Perfect: The New Moto Z Play and Hasselblad True Zoom - The Official Motorola Blog

Moto Mods: Hasselblad True Zoom

Hasselblad and Moto have teamed up to design an imaging experience that completely transforms mobile photography. Since 1941, Hasselblad has been at the forefront of the imaging industry. Around the world, the name Hasselblad is synonymous with the finest camera equipment ever made. Some of the most iconic images in history have been taken with Hasselblad cameras, from the first images on the moon to The Beatles famous Abbey Road Cover. This year, Hasselblad is bringing their unique, iconic design and imaging experience to the mobile space.

Add advanced imaging capabilities to your phone in a snap! You can create and share like never before. Featuring 10x Optical Zoom and a Xenon flash, you just focus on getting the shot - lighting and distance will never stand in the way of capturing the perfect image.

Expect even more control and flexibility with the ability to shoot in RAW format. Plus, physical shutter and zoom controls, guaranteeing a great handling experience. Added bonus? You’ll also get free access to Hasselblad’s Phocus software for streamlined editing control and the highest quality output.

Last, but not least, share your beautiful results with family and friends while still in the moment with automatic backup and unlimited free storage at original quality for two years with Google Photos.3

The Hasselblad True Zoom will be available globally starting in September. In Europe, it will retail for about 299€4. In the US it will be available for pre-sale on September 8 and available on September 15 for $249.99 USD at Verizon and $299 at Motorola.com. For more information about Hasselblad, please visit the website.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that it's only 12MP, but unless a user needs to do large prints, that's more than enough MP generally. The optical zoom and physical controls are worth a lot.

I'd say my likelihood to buy this is... 65-70%. The tech geek in me flat out wants it. I also see quite a bit of value in it, but I'm not going to carry it with me all the time, so I need to know I'll want it at an event or something. Which makes me question, why wouldn't I just take my Nikon D3200 to said event? At the same time, the mod would still be easier to carry, and if I'm happy enough with the results, I may be happier using this than my DSLR if I'm just wanting nice shots to remember events, and not trying to get the best picture I possibly can.

I'll be interested to see more night/dark shots, if the mid-Sept updates help the focus time, and what kind of hit to battery life the mod causes.

Last edited:

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Form factor and price are pretty good but the sensor size and output quality are disappointing. If the update improves picture quality and there's a good sale I might be interested.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Form factor and price are pretty good but the sensor size and output quality are disappointing. If the update improves picture quality and there's a good sale I might be interested.

I'm sure the price would go up if output quality goes up.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems nice, it's just rather large for what it is, and if it doesn't fit in a pockets as is, I'd rather take my DSLR. I use my phone for pics for portability and quick shots.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I read that hasselblad said the mod contains none of their technology. So motorola licensed the name and is including hasselblad desktop software.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a bigger sensor and not as much of a focus on how far it can zoom would have made for better photos overall. Having the sensor size so pedestrian is disappointing, but we'll see if photos might look better using the faster Z and Z Force processors than the Play. I have no idea.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I read that hasselblad said the mod contains none of their technology. So motorola licensed the name and is including hasselblad desktop software.

That's why I don't understand why everyone is so excited about this. It would be more exciting if Hasselblad had actually made the mod but I'm sure it would have been a $500 mod probably.

ericf4

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I went from being a must have for this to a no way. All vid reviews I see show that the zoom ability is great but slow focus, 12mp cap, low vid frame rate etc. It's all just a wtf were they thinking to me.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only hope is it performs better paired with the Z or Z Force processor instead of the Z Play. But that won't change the sensor size. They should have done a smaller zoom and bigger sensor for better image quality.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The slow focus is a huge disappointment, but the resolution of both photos & video isn't a big deal to me. Hopefully an update will fix the slow focus.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at point and shoots around $250 and all of them have the same sensor size as the True Zoom.

The mod would have probably cost $500+ if they put a 1" sensor in there. The Sony QX100, Panasonic CM1 and DxO One have a 1" sensor and all retail for more than $500.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I went from being a must have for this to a no way. All vid reviews I see show that the zoom ability is great but slow focus, 12mp cap, low vid frame rate etc. It's all just a wtf were they thinking to me.

Those reviews are all just hands on with a demo unit at/around IFA. Release firmware and software may be significantly improved. I'm waiting for them to hit the street before ruling it out (focus speed is important to me, with 3 young kids who never stop moving).

Last edited: