https://enterprise.indiegogo.com/motomods/

Motorola, Lenovo and Verizon are partnering with Indiegogo to give developers a chance to flex their imaginations and build Moto Mods™ with features that have never existed for smartphones before. Think of the Moto Mods like an app store, but for hardware. They can be just about anything you can dream up: a film projector, top-of-the-line speaker, blood pressure monitor… We want to add your vision to that list.

As part of our Transform the Smartphone Challenge, you have the chance to redefine what a Moto Z can do. The top concepts will have the opportunity to pitch your idea to executives at Moto’s Chicago office, and the opportunity for your product to be merchandised in Verizon stores.

Together, we’ll help build and fund your project.
    11-03-2016 01:01 PM
    I really hope this takes off, I'd love to see more useful and higher quality mods
    benjamminh likes this.
    11-03-2016 01:13 PM
    So far that has been mildly disappointing. The adventure mod has not yet shown up. The camera mod for many people was underwhelming. Generally good reviews for the style plates and the JBL speaker mod and the battery mods.. Pico projector mod is just too pricey for what it does for many people. And so far nothing else.
    11-03-2016 03:46 PM
    Timeline

Nov 3, 2016 to Jan 31, 2017

Open for submissions to the Challenge (see FAQ if you participated in Moto Mods Hackathon)
    Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 6, 2017

Developers launch crowdfunding campaigns
    Mar ​6​, 2017 at 11:59 pm PST

Time all campaigns ​are reviewed
    Mar 10, 2017

Finalists selected and notified
    End of March, 2017

Winning campaigns pitch their ideas at Moto HQ in Chicago, IL
    So it sounds like we won't hear more about mods out of this program until March, unless submitters decide to promote themselves early (if they're allowed to).

I was in Home Depot the other day, and they're using an old Motorola smartphone with a case/accessory that adds a barcode scanner to the phone. Seems like a clear use case for a Mod!
    11-03-2016 07:01 PM
    So it sounds like we won't hear more about mods out of this program until March, unless submitters decide to promote themselves early (if they're allowed to).

I was in Home Depot the other day, and they're using an old Motorola smartphone with a case/accessory that adds a barcode scanner to the phone. Seems like a clear use case for a Mod!
    It's probably a barcode scanner from Motorola solutions.
    11-03-2016 07:22 PM
    Hopefully they have some more mods ready to launch independent of this program
    benjamminh likes this.
    11-03-2016 09:03 PM
    I wonder if the possibility for some kind of gesture back mod would be possible, similar to how the playstation Vista has that touch pad back.
    11-05-2016 05:00 AM
    I hope someone makes an external DAC with a headphone jack mod.
    benjamminh likes this.
    11-06-2016 12:49 AM
    I hope someone makes an external DAC with a headphone jack mod.
    Ditto.
    11-07-2016 06:21 AM