04-21-2017 08:58 PM
100 1234
tools
    Here's a teaser with the second mode - wave. It's my personal favorite!

Does the same color pattern appear the same on all sides of the phone at the same time? Or is it one continuous train? Does that question make sense?
    01-24-2017 06:09 AM
    Does the same color pattern appear the same on all sides of the phone at the same time? Or is it one continuous train? Does that question make sense?

Yeah, each notification you get will go around the edges of the phone once, the next one will start off after the previous is complete. If it didn't go around all of the edges, you might miss it.
    01-24-2017 07:54 AM
    Here are the 2 remaining modes we would like to implement

01-24-2017 03:08 PM
    I'm digging flow.
    han4mi likes this.
    01-25-2017 05:55 AM
    Hi guys,

We've had an internal discussion about further development and need your help. There are 2 features in our Mod that can be implemented, but we can only do one due to price/Mod thickness concerns.

Apart from the LED notification functionality, would you prefer:

a) slightly thicker module (around 5mm) with a 2000mAh battery that will power the LEDs and be able to recharge your phone
    b) wireless charging module that will power your phone (it should be slightly thinner, around 3.5mm - 4mm)

Please be honest with your answers and thank you for your help!

POLL:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...O1kiQ/viewform

Tom
    01-25-2017 06:16 PM
    It says the file does not exist. I'd go with the battery.
    01-25-2017 09:10 PM
    File doesn't exist ...

I'd go with the thinner one. You said it would power the phone, just while wirelessly charging I assume. No battery in the mod, right?
    Attached Thumbnails Edge - Supercharge your Moto Z-25555.jpg  
    01-25-2017 09:21 PM
    My bad guys! I've updated the link now, please cast your vote
    01-26-2017 01:30 AM
    Hi guys!

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for participating, we got a lot of entries which made the results more accurate.

The results are:

53.6% would like to see a 2000mAh battery built into the mod (with edge notifications)
    44.2 would like wireless charging instead of a built in battery (with edge notifications)
    2.2% don't mind which version will be made

This is a bit surprising, I thought that there would be a lot less people interested in wireless charging.
    I promised that we will be taking everyone's opinion into account and that we will share the whole development process with you. This allows us to get lots of useful feedback and get closer to meet everyone's expectations.

The bad news (for some of you) is that we will not create a Mod that features an additional battery together with wireless charging. There are several reasons for this - Incipio already has a battery Mod with wireless charging, it would have impact on thickness (would probably go up to 6.5mm-7mm) and the edge notifications are a priority for our design.

The good news is that we decided to create 2 versions of our Mod:

The version that you have already seen and know - edge notifications with a built in 2000mAh battery, aiming for around 5mm thickness.

Wireless charging + edge notifications Mod, no battery built in. Aiming for 3.5mm thickness.

This is possible because we will be able to create electronics for both versions with the same dimensions. We will only have to replace some components and add a charging pad instead of the battery. A smart casing design will also allow for some savings on manufacturing.

I hope you guys are as excited as we are with further progress and happy with the decision we made!

Thanks, Tom
    Ry and cbironman24 like this.
    01-26-2017 12:54 PM
    Awesome! You say that you can implement both designs (battery vs wireless charging) using the same dimensions, but one is going to be 5mm thick and the other 3.5-4mm thick? Those aren't the same dimensions... or is the thickness of both the battery and charging plate the same in the mod? Just the peripherals take more or less thickness to implement?
    01-26-2017 01:02 PM
    Awesome! You say that you can implement both designs (battery vs wireless charging) using the same dimensions, but one is going to be 5mm thick and the other 3.5-4mm thick? Those aren't the same dimensions... or is the thickness of both the battery and charging plate the same in the mod? Just the peripherals take more or less thickness to implement?
    The thickness of the electronic board, where the LEDs are located is going to be the same for both designs(about 2mm). The version with a 2000mAh battery is slightly thicker because of the battery itself. Replacing it with a QI pad instead, that is around 1mm thick will reduce the thickness to ~3.5mm, as the plastic housing is going to be about 0.7mm-0.8mm thick on both sides.

To sum it up: 5mm for 2000mAh battery, 3.5mm for wireless charging version. This is what we're aiming for .

We've also implemented another small change - we're changing the name from "Chroma" to "Edge" and using a minimal dimple instead of a full logo:
    I've updated the teaser with it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...ns/coming_soon

What do you guys think?
    01-26-2017 02:19 PM
    Where do I throw my money? And how soon will you guys catch it?
    01-26-2017 02:57 PM
    Where do I throw my money? And how soon will you guys catch it?
    I couldn't agree more! I'll take 5 please 😁
    01-26-2017 03:28 PM
    The campaign launch is planned for February 6th, I'll keep you guys updated, thanks!
    turbochgd likes this.
    01-26-2017 03:32 PM
    So I was just thinking, are there going to be provisions to have the Edge not light up when notifications come, like at night time so I won't get woken up by a rainbow of colors beating against my thin eyelids? Something independent from the Do Not Disturb setting on the phone itself.
    YAYTech likes this.
    01-26-2017 03:33 PM
    So I was just thinking, are there going to be provisions to have the Edge not light up when notifications come, like at night time so I won't get woken up by a rainbow of colors beating against my thin eyelids? Something independent from the Do Not Disturb setting on the phone itself.
    Yes, there will be options to save/enable/disable different notification settings for specific days of the week and hours.
    For example, you could have a color set up for contacts from work and have it disabled during weekends, so it wouldn't bother you if a client called you while you're enjoying your evening.

There are loads of options and things I haven't mentioned yet, you'll be able to go through everything in the campaign page when Edge launches
    cbironman24 and YAYTech like this.
    01-26-2017 04:20 PM
    I assume it's not possible to include a small battery, even just 1000mAh, with the wireless charging version and still keep it close to the larger battery version? Personally I don't care that much about the side lighting though it would be nice to have, I mostly just want something that provides wireless charging and is a lot thinner than the incipio battery mod.
    01-27-2017 01:02 PM
    Will be buying the battery pack one when it comes out!

Bonus points if you have software on the mod able to tailor to the owner's desires. For instance, I would love it if my Incipio would allow me to stop using energy from the mod at around 10-20%. Or be able to not sure mod power until my phone is at 50%. Those are just examples, but it would be nice if we could adjust all those parameters. Is that possible on your battery mod?
    01-27-2017 01:16 PM
    We had a poll on this and everyone voted for a 5mm 2000mAh version or a wireless charging version (as slim as possible), this is what we're going for
    01-27-2017 01:44 PM
    Will be buying the battery pack one when it comes out!

Bonus points if you have software on the mod able to tailor to the owner's desires. For instance, I would love it if my Incipio would allow me to stop using energy from the mod at around 10-20%. Or be able to not sure mod power until my phone is at 50%. Those are just examples, but it would be nice if we could adjust all those parameters. Is that possible on your battery mod?
    Yes, this is exacly what it's going to do You can read about it in the first post in the thread. Basically, you'll be able to set a battery % that you would like the mod to start and stop recharging your phone at.
    DarkJoker33 and markabele like this.
    01-27-2017 01:46 PM
    The wireless charging version sounds perfect. The only 2 things I miss from my old Nexus 5 are Wireless Charging and the Notification Light.

A couple of questions though:
    1. I'm not a fan of always cycling through rainbows of colour. Will there be plenty of options for just choosing 1 or 2 colours?
    2. Any idea of a rough price?
    01-27-2017 07:06 PM
    I'd almost be in for wireless charging.
    But in every experience I've had with it, the phone heats up a ton and is slow at charging.
    Would it not be possible to have both features?
    How much thicker is your product vs something like the tumi/Incipio battery pack?

I snagged a new back for my V10 that enabled wireless charging and didn't increase thickness at all.
    Due to just a coil being added with contacts.
    I'm sure people wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks for it to be all on one accessory.

The heat part is the main part in stopping me personally from voting for it.
    01-28-2017 09:26 AM
    The wireless charging version sounds perfect. The only 2 things I miss from my old Nexus 5 are Wireless Charging and the Notification Light.

A couple of questions though:
    1. I'm not a fan of always cycling through rainbows of colour. Will there be plenty of options for just choosing 1 or 2 colours?
    2. Any idea of a rough price?
    Hi! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. There's loads of customization, but it's also very intuitive and simple. Like mentioned before, you can set any color to any notification you like. There are also 4 light patterns to choose from, check the youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0_...ZdQxortdvJC7Xw

For example, you'll be able to set 1 color for all your work contacts, another for your family/friends, 3rd one for social media notifications, etc. It's entirely up to you and I'm sure everyone will find something they like.

2. The Indiegogo pricing will be between 50$-60$, with limited quantities. We are offering the Mod at the lowest price possible and at the same time - making sure we have enough to pay for production, certification, end product development, taxes, fees etc.
    01-28-2017 01:46 PM
    I'd almost be in for wireless charging.
    But in every experience I've had with it, the phone heats up a ton and is slow at charging.
    Would it not be possible to have both features?
    How much thicker is your product vs something like the tumi/Incipio battery pack?

I snagged a new back for my V10 that enabled wireless charging and didn't increase thickness at all.
    Due to just a coil being added with contacts.
    I'm sure people wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks for it to be all on one accessory.

The heat part is the main part in stopping me personally from voting for it.
    I agree with you - it's great to have a device that can do it all! But I also think that the great part of having a modular built smartphone is that you can adjust its functionality to your needs. If we included all of the options in one device, the whole concept wouldn't make much sense and the Moto Z would be no different than any other android phone.

We are sticking to the 2 versions of our Mod for now and trust me - it's going to be a lot of work! We can't get too ahead of ourselves and keep adding features because it will make the whole concept too complicated and there is a higher chance for things to go wrong. We want to make sure you guys get a perfect product into your hands that will make your smartphone experience significantly better

The cool thing about engaging with the community is that we can always ask for your opinion and the feedback we got so far is awesome. We wouldn't have a changed logo or 2 versions of the mod if it wasn't something you voted for
    01-28-2017 02:04 PM
    Hi guys, we have a website running starting today - Edge – Supercharge your smartphone
    You can find out a bit more about our mod there!

Thanks, Tom
    01-29-2017 07:29 PM
100 1234