Edge - Supercharge your Moto Z

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
We've extended the campaign everyone :) Make sure to grab a Mod or bumper while the special Indiegogo offer lasts!

https://igg.me/at/motomodedge

MotoZ_2.140.jpg

UPDATE 1

We've launched! Check out the campaign here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/edge-supercharge-your-notifications/x/15307718#/

UPDATE 2

The Edge shield bumpers are available for pre-order at the Indiegogo campaign link!

midnight_black.jpg

moonlight_silver.jpg

crimson_red.jpg

Hi!

My team and I are working on a edge notification mod concept which I'd like to share with you (we're taking part in the transform the smartphone challange). Here's a quick look:

teaser.jpg

We missed led notifications and came up with an all-around edge light system - we're almost finished with the prototype. Small leds, which can be found on some phones are very underwhelming- we are planning to spice things up a bit.

The prototype has 20 individually lit leds, which can glow in basically any color. This allows for pretty much unlimited customization - patterns & colors.

We're linking this to 3rd party notificactions (facebook, twitter, instagram, gmail etc), text messages, calls, calendar events, emails and so on. You'll be able to set any color to any notification you like.

large (1).png

There's also additional functionality like:

- a low battery status

- gradual illumination and color shift as the battery recharges

- option to save settings for different time/days

- automatic on/off at specific time/day

- option to link to specific contacts (calls and text messages)

It's a quick way of reading between the lines and knowing what kind of information your phone is reaching out to you with before you even unlock the screen. It also lets you priotitize - for example, you can enable it for the notifications you want to receive at a specific moment and not worry or get disturbed by the stuff you don't care about.

You can link specific notifications, like social media with color 1, work contacts with color 2, family & friends color 3 etc. Simple, quick and efficient.

There's no impact on battery life, as we're planning to squeeze in a 2000mah battery in there. It's going to be enough to power the enhanced notification for a few days or you can also use it to add some power to your phone if you have to.

You'll be able to set a specific battery % to start and stop charging at or straight after snapping it in - it will recharge the phone automatically.

Here's a quick look at the app:

app.png

We're still looking into additional functionality and ideas, so all your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We will be running pre-orders through Indiegogo soon, you can sign up here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chroma-supercharge-your-notifications/coming_soon

Here's our website, you can find out more there: Edge – Supercharge your smartphone

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Chroma - new Moto Mod concept

Nifty idea.

Is there enough room for this to work with a bumper case?

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

That would be my biggest concern as well. I never plan on using my phone without a bumper. I know there are others that feel the same.

Joe Zambito

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

My concern as well. I know I didn't really care for the Verizon bumper which leaves me with just the Incipio which wouldn't have much room for the notification light to show, if any.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Sure! It will be contained within the back of the phone, so Moto Z dedicated bumpers will work.
It will work best with the clear stock bumper, but we'll do our best to make it visible with others as well.
Most of these have raised edges so you can always flip the phone over too :)

Last edited:

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Looks way cool! Any Tasker plug-in integration? I'd buy one! What is the price point you're aiming for?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

We'll be looking into supporting as many 3rd party apps as possible. Still looking into pricing as this is determined by a lot of factors, but we're offering a 25% off deal for pre-orders :).

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

It should go without saying... it should have a "party mode" that just does a light show. :) I can understand not including Qi charging at first, but if you have success, it may be worth offering one with it as well.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

It should go without saying... it should have a "party mode" that just does a light show. :) I can understand not including Qi charging at first, but if you have success, it may be worth offering one with it as well.

I was thinking about including a mode that would light up according to the music that is currently played from the phone. This is definitely on the "gimmick" list of features to add with future updates :)

DarkJoker33

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

How about being able to charge it alone?
Instead of it having to charge when it's attached to the phone.

NFC extender?
So mobile payments are still useable.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

NFC extender?

NFC should work fine, as the thickness is quite low, we'll be testing it out. Charging it alone is currently under discussion. If we want to include a micro usb or usb type c port in the module, the uniformity of the LED edge would most likely be obstructed.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

NFC extender?

According to the manual, the NFC on the Moto Z phones is at the top corners, not the center of the back, so that mods won't block it.

Moto Z NFC.png

Last edited:

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Here's a quick look at the first light pattern. Each color represents a different notification. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34