Edge - Supercharge your Moto Z

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Chroma - new Moto Mod concept

So I was just thinking, are there going to be provisions to have the Edge not light up when notifications come, like at night time so I won't get woken up by a rainbow of colors beating against my thin eyelids? Something independent from the Do Not Disturb setting on the phone itself.

Yes, there will be options to save/enable/disable different notification settings for specific days of the week and hours.
For example, you could have a color set up for contacts from work and have it disabled during weekends, so it wouldn't bother you if a client called you while you're enjoying your evening.

There are loads of options and things I haven't mentioned yet, you'll be able to go through everything in the campaign page when Edge launches :)

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I assume it's not possible to include a small battery, even just 1000mAh, with the wireless charging version and still keep it close to the larger battery version? Personally I don't care that much about the side lighting though it would be nice to have, I mostly just want something that provides wireless charging and is a lot thinner than the incipio battery mod.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Will be buying the battery pack one when it comes out!

Bonus points if you have software on the mod able to tailor to the owner's desires. For instance, I would love it if my Incipio would allow me to stop using energy from the mod at around 10-20%. Or be able to not sure mod power until my phone is at 50%. Those are just examples, but it would be nice if we could adjust all those parameters. Is that possible on your battery mod?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

We had a poll on this and everyone voted for a 5mm 2000mAh version or a wireless charging version (as slim as possible), this is what we're going for :)

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Will be buying the battery pack one when it comes out!

Bonus points if you have software on the mod able to tailor to the owner's desires. For instance, I would love it if my Incipio would allow me to stop using energy from the mod at around 10-20%. Or be able to not sure mod power until my phone is at 50%. Those are just examples, but it would be nice if we could adjust all those parameters. Is that possible on your battery mod?

Yes, this is exacly what it's going to do :) You can read about it in the first post in the thread. Basically, you'll be able to set a battery % that you would like the mod to start and stop recharging your phone at.

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

The wireless charging version sounds perfect. The only 2 things I miss from my old Nexus 5 are Wireless Charging and the Notification Light.

A couple of questions though:
1. I'm not a fan of always cycling through rainbows of colour. Will there be plenty of options for just choosing 1 or 2 colours?
2. Any idea of a rough price?

DarkJoker33

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

I'd almost be in for wireless charging.
But in every experience I've had with it, the phone heats up a ton and is slow at charging.
Would it not be possible to have both features?
How much thicker is your product vs something like the tumi/Incipio battery pack?

I snagged a new back for my V10 that enabled wireless charging and didn't increase thickness at all.
Due to just a coil being added with contacts.
I'm sure people wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks for it to be all on one accessory.

The heat part is the main part in stopping me personally from voting for it.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

The wireless charging version sounds perfect. The only 2 things I miss from my old Nexus 5 are Wireless Charging and the Notification Light.

A couple of questions though:
1. I'm not a fan of always cycling through rainbows of colour. Will there be plenty of options for just choosing 1 or 2 colours?
2. Any idea of a rough price?

Hi! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. There's loads of customization, but it's also very intuitive and simple. Like mentioned before, you can set any color to any notification you like. There are also 4 light patterns to choose from, check the youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0_msKg8tZdQxortdvJC7Xw

For example, you'll be able to set 1 color for all your work contacts, another for your family/friends, 3rd one for social media notifications, etc. It's entirely up to you and I'm sure everyone will find something they like.

2. The Indiegogo pricing will be between 50$-60$, with limited quantities. We are offering the Mod at the lowest price possible and at the same time - making sure we have enough to pay for production, certification, end product development, taxes, fees etc.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

I'd almost be in for wireless charging.
But in every experience I've had with it, the phone heats up a ton and is slow at charging.
Would it not be possible to have both features?
How much thicker is your product vs something like the tumi/Incipio battery pack?

I snagged a new back for my V10 that enabled wireless charging and didn't increase thickness at all.
Due to just a coil being added with contacts.
I'm sure people wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks for it to be all on one accessory.

The heat part is the main part in stopping me personally from voting for it.

I agree with you - it's great to have a device that can do it all! But I also think that the great part of having a modular built smartphone is that you can adjust its functionality to your needs. If we included all of the options in one device, the whole concept wouldn't make much sense and the Moto Z would be no different than any other android phone.

We are sticking to the 2 versions of our Mod for now and trust me - it's going to be a lot of work! We can't get too ahead of ourselves and keep adding features because it will make the whole concept too complicated and there is a higher chance for things to go wrong. We want to make sure you guys get a perfect product into your hands that will make your smartphone experience significantly better :)

The cool thing about engaging with the community is that we can always ask for your opinion and the feedback we got so far is awesome. We wouldn't have a changed logo or 2 versions of the mod if it wasn't something you voted for :)

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

Your product sounds exciting, and I love your interaction here on the forum. Thank you!

Question: Will your 2000 mAH battery mod be thicker, thinner or about the same as the Incipio 2200 mAH wireless battery mod?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Your product sounds exciting, and I love your interaction here on the forum. Thank you!

Question: Will your 2000 mAH battery mod be thicker, thinner or about the same as the Incipio 2200 mAH wireless battery mod?

Thank you for all the support! I think we can make it thinner, aiming for 5mm :)

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for all the support! I think we can make it thinner, aiming for 5mm :)

Great. I'm sure you also realize that weight will be very important to users as this is something that is meant to be on the phone all the time.

The Incipio is 3 ounces (non-wireless), so hopefully yours won't be heavier.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Great. I'm sure you also realize that weight will be very important to users as this is something that is meant to be on the phone all the time.

The Incipio is 3 ounces (non-wireless), so hopefully yours won't be heavier.

The battery version will be about 80g, so the same as Incipio. Wireless version around 50g, hopefully less!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

This is looking great. Good job sticking to the 2 versions - anything more and I'd be concerned that you'd never get anywhere. You can always make more versions later!

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

This is looking great. Good job sticking to the 2 versions - anything more and I'd be concerned that you'd never get anywhere. You can always make more versions later!

I was a bit concerned about adding wireless charging at first because of the costs, but it's a very similar design of electronics as the battery version.
Can't wait myself to get my hands on one of these :)

PS. I'll have a prototype teaser uploaded soon :)

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Update time!

We're really busy with preparing for the campaign launch, bu I'd like to show you a quick demo of Edge receiving a SMS notification.
Keep in mind that this is an early prototype guys!

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Have you considered adding a third option of JUST wireless charging? Ie. No LEDs.

Personally I like the notification LEDs and will buy that, but no-one else actually produces a wireless back yet. You could make it even thinner and, judging from previous forum comments, there is quite a market for a wireless-only back.

Just a thought. 😊

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae