JBL SoundBoost 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-mods-gamepad-turbopower-jbl-soundboost-2-pricing-availability

Not sure that this one needed a sequel, but JBL's second SoundBoost speaker Mod is rounder and considerably more portable than the first, with the same excellent bassy sound and 10-hour battery life.

moto-z2-play-47.jpg

It now comes in black, red, and blue variants, with a reinforced metal kickstand that props it up when listening on the go. It's also splashproof, which is nice that, along with the Moto Z line's water resistant nano-coating, it can stand up to being by the pool or caught in the rain.

Coming in July for $79.99.

moto-z2-play-48.jpg

moto-z2-play-43.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Say Hello to New Possibilities with Moto Z² Play and Moto Mods - The Official Motorola Blog

High Quality Sound in a Snap
The first generation JBL SoundBoost helped you get the party started, and with the upgraded JBL SoundBoost 2, the party keeps on rockin’. The new SoundBoost 2 gives you a full party’s worth of music with 10 hours of playtime built right in. And with its water-repellant coating, a little spill or splash won’t stop the music either. It comes in red, blue or black, features a more premium design with fabric and improved contours for a better feel in your hand.

There’s also a new app available, called My JBL SoundBoost 2, so that you can adjust the sound just the way you like it. Whether you’re listening to music, watching videos or even cheering on your favorite team, the built-in kickstand gives you a truly immersive audio-visual experience. All in a snap, with no pairing required.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Black

Z0BcmNx.jpg

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Now I'm torn. I bought the Soundboost mod for Father's Day, but haven't opened it yet. Should I return it and wait a month for the new one?

I'll watch for comparisons between the two, but the My JBL app sounds intriguing. And I think I like the styling of the new one, but the durability of the cloth cover concerns me.

Your thought are appreciated! And thanks to Ry for getting these new mod posts up so fast!

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
wonder if the app works with the 1st gen?

other than colors and water resistance, is there any reason to upgrade?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
wonder if the app works with the 1st gen?

other than colors and water resistance, is there any reason to upgrade?
Which app are you referring to? Moto has already said that all Mods for the next three years will work on all Z phone manufactured over the next three years. So the Mods we have now should work on the 2017 and 2018 Z series and the new Mods in '17 and '18 will work on the first gen Z phones. Pretty cool.

I don't think there is a need to buy a new Sound boost, I just want a blue one.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Which app are you referring to? Moto has already said that all Mods for the next three years will work on all Z phone manufactured over the next three years. So the Mods we have now should work on the 2017 and 2018 Z series and the new Mods in '17 and '18 will work on the first gen Z phones. Pretty cool.

I don't think there is a need to buy a new Sound boost, I just want a blue one.

There's going to be a SoundBoost app.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
There's going to be a SoundBoost app.
Thanks for the clarification, I missed that part of the announcement. Looks like 2 new apps: JBL EW (sound control) and My Sound boost 2. Sounds like the new Sound boost 2 app may only be compatible with the Sound boost 2 Mod? I guess we will not know for sure until both apps hit the Play Store.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Consider this. The Z2 Force will have dual cameras (already pretty much confirmed). It's very possible the camera cutouts in these new mods are oblong in shape because the dual camera setup may pick up the edges of a round cutout. Just a thought.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Consider this. The Z2 Force will have dual cameras (already pretty much confirmed). It's very possible the camera cutouts in these new mods are oblong in shape because the dual camera setup may pick up the edges of a round cutout. Just a thought.

I disagree with this assessment. They have already said that old mods will work on the new phones.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
From the pics in the announcement poster, it's two cameras inside the same circle. And it has to be since Moto already said that current Moto Mods will be compatible for the next two years; no way they are going back on that statement and losing current customers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Nope. Mods will be compatible between generations.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with this assessment. They have already said that old mods will work on the new phones.
From the pics in the announcement poster, it's two cameras inside the same circle. And it has to be since Moto already said that current Moto Mods will be compatible for the next two years; no way they are going back on that statement and losing current customers.
Nope. Mods will be compatible between generations.

No, no, no, no, no, no. I didn't mean the actual camera hump would change, I meant that the taper around the camera hump in the newer mods is oblong in shape. Look at the two attached pictures. You can see that the new JBL is obviously oblong in shape, whereas the old one obviously is round. This seems consistent with the fact that if there are two cameras positioned further apart, then the taper would need to widen too so the cameras don't "see" the edge of the mod.

I have no doubt that the new mod will work on the old phone, but the camera results may be undesirable, that's all. There's a reason they made that oblong on the new JBL.

I've also attached a sketch to hopefully illustrate the differences.
Moto Z JBL SoundBoost Black.jpg
JBL SoundBoost 2_Black.jpg
JBL2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21