5G Moto Mod

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z3-review
https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z3-announced

As part of the launch, Motorola and Verizon are co-launching a 5G-compatible Moto Mod that will launch in early 2019, allowing the carrier's four supported cities (Houston, Sacramento, Los Angeles, and another unannounced one) to connect where the gigabit-plus speeds are available. It uses the previously-announced Snapdragon X50 platform, which includes four millimeter-wave antennas, with support up to 1.5Gbps.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...products%2Fmoto-mods%2Fmoto-5g&token=bVoMP6aE

Simply snap on the 5G moto mod to upgrade your moto z3 when the new network is available. It’ll be compatible with all past generation moto z phones on Verizon by 2019.*

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I was following the event on a reporters Twitter page. Seems like a cool idea. The new Z3 seems pretty good for the price also.

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
The 5G Moto Mod seems very impressive. It can put into practical terms what the benefits of the mod system brings. Some people complain that they can get a bluetooth speaker or a battery pack for less than the cost of the mods. What will they say about getting 5G on their existing phone? I guess they can get a 5G puck and put it on the table or hold it one hand (careful not to block the antennas) and have their phone in the other hand and act like it's cheaper and better than the mods but it won't be.

The mod should also allow for tethered 5G connectivity to laptops which is another plus. I hope other carriers see the benefits and jump on the mod bandwagon. Venture beat has 8 reasons why the 5G moto mod matters.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was following the event on a reporters Twitter page. Seems like a cool idea. The new Z3 seems pretty good for the price also.

Not sure if it's a worthy upgrade from any non-play Z series phone though. It's most of the specs of the Z2, with the same screen as the z3 play. So screen wise, it's actually a step down from the Z2.

Sadly they've confirmed that there will be no more Z series phones released this year. I would have loved to see a Z3 Force with the shattershield and a higher resolution screen than the Z3 Play.

That said, Sticking with my Z Force and Z2 Play... I wonder if this 5G mod will work in tandem with the older hardware inside the Z and Z2 series. For example, overriding the LTE modem, is this possible on the older ones? Or is this something enabled on the Z3 series?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I don't think we will know for sure until it's actually released and there is an actual 5G network in service. From what I have read the Mod will allow any Moto Z phone to take advantage of the 5G speed. But that's only if (big IF) you have 5G in your area

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we will know for sure until it's actually released and there is an actual 5G network in service. From what I have read the Mod will allow any Moto Z phone to take advantage of the 5G speed. But that's only if (big IF) you have 5G in your area

It's not just the 5G modem that's in it. It's got a much more powerful 4G-LTE modem and more advanced antennas (not limited to fitting inside a phone itself). So even without 5G, some users may experience much faster 4G performance (especially if you're tethering to a tablet or computer).

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not just the 5G modem that's in it. It's got a much more powerful 4G-LTE modem and more advanced antennas (not limited to fitting inside a phone itself). So even without 5G, some users may experience much faster 4G performance (especially if you're tethering to a tablet or computer).

So after some additional reading, it looks like the Z3 will support the 5G mod at first, with support for the mod coming down to the Z2 phones at a later date.
No mention of the 1st generation Z phones at all.

I wonder if it's something in Android 9 that supports it that 8 does not? And with the Z3 being updated to 9 sooner and the Z2 getting it "at a later date", this would make sense.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if only the Verizon Zs got support for this mod.

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
Since Verizon's 5G network is live now, Motorola's website now says "Verizon moto z[SUP][SUP]3[/SUP][/SUP] devices will be the first to gain access to the 5G network connection, followed by Verizon moto z[SUP]2[/SUP] devices." If it also works for the Z[SUP]2[/SUP] Play as well as the Z[SUP][SUP]2[/SUP][/SUP] Force then this could be a big push for the Moto Z phone brand and perhaps an unlocked Moto 5G Mod with the Qualcomm X55 will come out later that would work with 5G on all carriers. I can only hope...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if only the Verizon Zs got support for this mod.

As much as I would love to see the 5G mod out and working for all carrier's, if it comes out at all I'm sure it'll be a Verizon exclusive. I really like the Z line, but realistically it's dead. There's no more mods being sold and produced, the only available mods still in stock are the overpriced mods nobody wants, and the phones are being sold for peanuts. By the time 5G is a useful reality, the Moto Z line and mods will be long gone :-(

It's too bad because I think it really added something special to what was just another ordinary smartphone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20