Possible New Direction for Moto Mods

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
Android Headlines discusses a patent to add wireless capability to Moto Mods. After attaching the mod to the phone, it can be disconnected and used wirelessly. That would allow for backwards compatibility for existing mods and allow for a path forward for new mods.

It would explain why no new mods have been released and what we can expect in the future. A wireless enabled speaker mod seems logical. Also, I would anticipate wireless charging to be baked into the handset so no need to for a wireless charging shell. At least that is what I hope happens...

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
kingstu, I don't understand the connection that you are making between "it can be disconnected and used wirelessly" and "backwards compatibility for existing mods".

kingstu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
The new patent refers to what happens after the physical connection of the mod to the phone happens. Once you put the mod on, it could also trigger a background pairing so the mod would be paired to the device once it was physically removed. (Sort of like NFC to pair a bluetooth speaker.) The wireless connectivity would be latent, and when the physical connection is by unattaching the mod, the wireless connection would start being used, similar to how wifi and cellular data can alternatively be used when going into or out of coverage.

The existing mods will work because nothing changes when the mod is connected, it only gives a different result when disconnected. All of these mods would need to have a battery since they would need power but the Vital Health Mod (if it ever comes to market) and the 5G mod and a speaker mod could all use this functionality.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I could see some good things behind this.
An example I would love to see, would be the speaker mod. I love how it sounds, but sometimes, I need to have a different mod attached. Or for instance, use the speaker mod wireless while the projector or gamepad is attached. Or the gamepad having a low latency wireless connection after being paired. doesn't need a long range (~3ft would be fine). But that said, I rarely ever carry my phone without the battery attached (do I NEED it? probably not. But I find the phone to be hard to hold without it. Too thin imho.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay