Motorola X Phone

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't be surprising. Motorola has a strong partnership with Verizon, and Google bought out Motorola Mobility. Makes sense.

Since I'm pretty sure this isn't a Nexus, why would it not come to Verizon?

I think in a similar vein as the GS3, it will come to all of the carriers.

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Because this is essentially a super-Nexus. If you're teenage son crashes your Camry, your response probably isn't going to be to hand him the keys to the BMW.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Because this is essentially a super-Nexus. If you're teenage son crashes your Camry, your response probably isn't going to be to hand him the keys to the BMW.

I fundamentally disagree. This is not a nexus. This is the next stage of Android--allowing the skin to be completely different than the operating system. I'm willing to bet all, or at least most, android phones will be this way in the future.

As this is not what a nexus is, this phone is completely separate from a Nexus. Verizon not offering this phone because of their treatment of the Galaxy Nexus would be analogous to Samsung not letting Verizon sell any of their future phones because of the treatment of the Galaxy Nexus. That's how different this is.

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What a Nexus means to non-developers, IMO:
updates direct from Google, no carrier bloatware, contract free, good hardware. I expect the Google X phone to meet all these criteria. Thus, to most consumers, it will essentially be a Nexus.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You are going to be sorely disappointed. Motorola make the X phone, not Google. It will not be a Nexus or at least as we know the Nexus to be now. I think the poster above you has it spot on

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is Google

No moto is a completely separate company. Only difference between them and any other manufacturers is that Google knows their profit numbers and can choose to change their management.

Other than that, there is no difference. They have to bid on Google business just like everyone else. They can choose not to work for Google and Google can choose not to give them business. And there is very limited discussion between them before contracts are granted because of compliance laws.

I know all this because I work for a company with the exact same relationship.

The reason Google probably got moto was for their patents. Not the mediocre manufacturer that was attached with them. Moto still has some of the most broad cell phone patents around which are advantageous in both royalties and defending yourself in court

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith