Motorola "X" Phone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
More Google Motorola 'X Phone' details emerge

More rumors -

• Google will announce the rumored Motorola X Phone at its annual Google I/O conference in May
  • the handset isn't expected to arrive until July 8.
  • The Android smartphone will be reportedly offered on "all carriers," though it isn't clear if this simply means the big four providers, or other players as well.
  • $299 on-contract with Verizon
  • Unsubsidized versions sold in the Play Store, bootloaders on those versions will be unlocked
  • Not an Nexus
  • unlocking the bootloader on the Verizon version could cost a $15 monthly fee.

Of course, obligatory "grain of salt" disclaimer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If Google wants Motorola to remain competitive with Samsung and Apple, this phone needs to be on as many carriers as possible and pricing needs to line up or beat the competition - even subsidized.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If that 15$ a month becomes true verizon is just ridiculous

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

Unless it is a completely different version, I don't see how they could know. Unless it was somehow coded into the radio or something ridiculous like that.

Don't see it happening, but Verizon craziness has surprised me before...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
BGR: Motorola X Phone will reportedly include revolution new features

Dan Graziano over at BGR is reporting on rumors of Google's X Phone by Motorola writing, "The device, which is known as the ?X Phone? for the time being, is said to feature a high-end rear camera, long battery life and a flexible display, and it is expected to be very durable."

Outside of the flexible display, I don't see anything too revolutionary listed - it's more evolutionary unless the phone uses a new battery technology rather than just cramming a massive battery in a small space.

"Sources speaking to the site also revealed that the handset may include software that has never been seen before in a smartphone." This screams Google Now, but we'll see.

Curiously, the phone is being said to "have been in development for a long time" which could mean a few things. Google could have had plans for this phone before officially acquiring Motorola. Or this could have been a Motorola project that Google quickly got involved in.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
BGR: Motorola X Phone will reportedly include revolution new features

Dan Graziano over at BGR is reporting on rumors of Google's X Phone by Motorola writing, "The device, which is known as the ?X Phone? for the time being, is said to feature a high-end rear camera, long battery life and a flexible display, and it is expected to be very durable."

Outside of the flexible display, I don't see anything too revolutionary listed - it's more evolutionary unless the phone uses a new battery technology rather than just cramming a massive battery in a small space.

"Sources speaking to the site also revealed that the handset may include software that has never been seen before in a smartphone." This screams Google Now, but we'll see.

Curiously, the phone is being said to "have been in development for a long time" which could mean a few things. Google could have had plans for this phone before officially acquiring Motorola. Or this could have been a Motorola project that Google quickly got involved in.

I hope I am proved wrong, but I mean it's moto, how revolutionary can it be? Lol

I will be curious to see how involved Google has been with this project. Everything points to partner rather than a purely Google contracted device(I know I am splitting definition hairs here). We will see. I hope I am wrong, but i just don't see anything game changing coming out of this. At least nothing to live up to the hype around it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, main reason I haven't given moto a look is because they generally make phones for Verizon and have crappy screens. However if it is true its launching on all carriers, and if the screen they use matches up with the M7, then I will definitely have to give a good hard look.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The rumor is the Motorola X Phone is going to be available on all carriers, like the iPhone and Galaxy SIII/Note 2.

Sweet, I hope that is true. I was thinking of getting the SGIV but after reading it might have a different OS than Android, Might be looking at this phone to upgrade to..

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, I hope that is true. I was thinking of getting the SGIV but after reading it might have a different OS than Android, Might be looking at this phone to upgrade to..

It's not gonna have a different OS. I'm looking at the S4, this phone, or maybe the Note 2 if I can't wait that long. I have an upgrade in March and another in August.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, main reason I haven't given moto a look is because they generally make phones for Verizon and have crappy screens. However if it is true its launching on all carriers, and if the screen they use matches up with the M7, then I will definitely have to give a good hard look.

We all hope Google can source a higher quality panel for Motorola.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I hope I am proved wrong, but I mean it's moto, how revolutionary can it be? Lol

I will be curious to see how involved Google has been with this project. Everything points to partner rather than a purely Google contracted device(I know I am splitting definition hairs here). We will see. I hope I am wrong, but i just don't see anything game changing coming out of this. At least nothing to live up to the hype around it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Considering that in moto's alost 100 year history, they helped pioneer the mobile communications field, and have only fallen off repatively recently, it's safe to say that they may still have some big things to do.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Considering that in moto's alost 100 year history, they helped pioneer the mobile communications field, and have only fallen off repatively recently, it's safe to say that they may still have some big things to do.

They may, but they were also recently acquired. The last couple of years have done well in sales, but always with or behind the curve with tech. Never ahead. To think they would suddenly jump out ahead is expecting a lot imo

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm excited for the Xphone, enjoying my XOOM, too, and hope that it will succeed in the same way the RAZR did.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie